)(*
    i seriously need help, please!!!
    my dads hard drive in his pc just failed, i know this because i took the drive out and it clicks when i shake it.

Is there any way to save the data on there?

Desolate One
    Ouch, that's serious if you have broken parts in the drive. The only option is contacting one of those data recovery companies you see adverts for in the back of PC rags. It may be expensive but if the data is that important the cost is justified.

Specs:
    20" iMac | iPhone 4
    & Shaking might not have helped. If something gets loose and scratches the HDD it makes things worse.

There are places you can take it that can do recovery, very expensive and not quaranteed to work.

Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    too bad he doesnt have a mac, target disk mode might have worked, or virtual lab may help even now if you had the pc version.

If the hard drive is broken to the point that there is something rattling around in it, I really doubt that any software application could do anything for him.

)(*
    wel i served out my punishment, 10 lashings

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    If the data on the drive is very important to you and you have the money, then Drive Savers will do the job.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
    If you are a terrorist the FBI will look at it for free :bomb:
    I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.

That;s awsome how they can recover stuff form a broken hard dive. It would be fun to see how it works.

Anyways... Can you put you drive in another computer and see if the data shows up on it as a second HD? Or is it physically broken? I don't know what the rattling inside means...

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun89
    That;s awsome how they can recover stuff form a broken hard dive. It would be fun to see how it works.
    I believe they remove the disk platter, in order to get the data off.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Thread Information