Thread: Screen woes

Screen woes
    Hi All,

I have a 17inch G4 Powerbook 1.67ghz Superdrive with 1.5gb of ram. I recently had the logic board replaced under warranty so the laptop is as god as it has ever been. Sadly though my screen has just developed a fault - it works but there is a pixel width line from top to bottom on the right hand side. I am looking to replace the screen but quotes are coming in at around 550: for this money I am tempted to just upgrade.

My question is, is it worth me repairing the screen before I try to sell it on? If so, how can I find a fair priced replacement unit? I am confident I could change the screen myself but need to know what unit to buy.

Secondly, in good condition (ie - new screen and logicboard) how much can I expect towards my new laptop from the sale of it?

Thanks in advance

Jon

Specs:
    macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
    550 pounds for a screen is a bit ridiculous.

I would recommend, if you wanted to fix it, to look around on ebay for a broken one with a working screen you could pick up or something and just replace it yourself.

my experience;

a bit slower with less money but i was selling my 1.0ghz/1.0gb memory/superdrive/15" powerbooks for about $500 on ebay.

I sold my old laptop (windows based) for about 300 dollars, it had 2 lines on the screen. On ebay that laptop with a perfect screen was only going for a little under a hundred dollars more than mine. Like 370ish

Thanks for the help there - I have found a place that will replace the screen for £200 with a 1 year warranty. I figure that the laptop has a warranty for the motherboard now (1 year) and the screen so it should be a reasonably attractive second hand buy for someone.

I am being given a 15 inch macbook pro from my work so I will just put the money towards a cinema display I think.

Anyone want a 17 Powerbook?!?

Specs:
    macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
    how much?

Specs:
    White Macbook, 2.4ghz, 4Gb Ram, 250gb hdd
    yeh how much ?
    Macbook 2.4ghz, 250GB HDD, 4GB ram
    I-Pod Classic 120GB

Im open to offers at this stage - with or without the screen fix. As it stands, there is a pixel wide light blue line about 3cms from the right hand edge of the screen. I have found a repair shop who will fix it for £210 with a new screen covered by a 1 year warranty. It also has a new logic board.

If I fix it I will of course expect the cost of the repair to be covered by the repair or else there is little point in me doing it.

I also have the original box and packaging that it came in!

Thread Information