New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Second Monitor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GoodTimeJoey

GoodTimeJoey is on a distinguished road

So, I wanted to buy a second monitor for my computer for graphic designing/web designing reasons.
anyways, what would be a good monitor to use other than the Apple displays since I dont feel like paying $850 for a monitor when I could buy one for 450.

I was looking at THIS one. Now would that be compatible with a macbook pro 17"??
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

The answer to that is - probably. I have a Vizio 36" HDTV hooked up to my Mac Mini in the living room and it works reasonably well with the DVI output. That's a lowest common denominator.

That would most probably work just fine with your Macbook Pro with a DVI cable, or perhaps an HDMI cable in some way. Specs don't say whether it has the appropriate connectors but it probably does. At any rate, if you have a Mac that supports an external monitor you're probably good with just about any one that has the appropriate connectors.
QUOTE Thanks
GoodTimeJoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
The answer to that is - probably. I have a Vizio 36" HDTV hooked up to my Mac Mini in the living room and it works reasonably well with the DVI output. That's a lowest common denominator.

That would most probably work just fine with your Macbook Pro with a DVI cable, or perhaps an HDMI cable in some way. Specs don't say whether it has the appropriate connectors but it probably does. At any rate, if you have a Mac that supports an external monitor you're probably good with just about any one that has the appropriate connectors.

alright thanks.
and is there any screens your would suggest that you heard are exceptionally well or anyone else for that matter.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

That looks like a nice monitor.

Humm what resolution do you get on the TV? I heard it isn't very high. >_>"?
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice

It's 1440x...something I forget, but since it's first and foremost a TV and the Mini serves as a Media server (think poor-mans AppleTV) it doesn't matter. Works fine to show movies gotten from "the other iTunes store" and DVDs.

This looks like a dedicated monitor which can be driven at those 19something by something else resolutions.

Personally I have a 23" Samsung monitor driven by my Macbook at 1680x1050 that I'm pretty happy with.

Correction: Mac Mini to TV (37" Vizio) is 1360x768. Once again it's more TV than monitor so my 23" Samsung is working out pretty nicely.
QUOTE Thanks
GoodTimeJoey

So that vizio monitor I put up in the first post is actually a TV?
well do you have any suggestions for a LCD computer monitor, or would that TV work fine, and by fine I mean will ti display colors correctly? because I'm going to use it to web design/graphic design/photo edit. and it needs to display colors as true as possible.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimeJoey View Post
well do you have any suggestions for a LCD computer monitor, or would that TV work fine, and by fine I mean will ti display colors correctly? because I'm going to use it to web design/graphic design/photo edit. and it needs to display colors as true as possible.
One of the reasons why I hate print design stuff >_>" equipment gets extremely expensive.

I don't know of any True Color Display monitors under 800 bucks to tell you the truth.

There is a Samsung monitor that I have been eying for a while now. It's 26" it's a HDTV/LCD monitor.

Not sure how accurate the color is but I want it anyways. ^-^"
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

No, that's actually a monitor. My TV is a TV that can act as a monitor. For your purposes, that monitor displaying a capability of 1920 x 1200 is pretty good. Three inches more screen space is going to be nice, and cheaper than a Cinema Display, which is too expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
This is one of the reasons why Apple's monitors are so expensive. True color monitors are not cheap!

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeafter2am View Post
This is one of the reasons why Apple's monitors are so expensive. True color monitors are not cheap!
If anything the Apple Cinema monitors are a bargain compared to other 16.7 million color LCDs

Eizo ColorEdge CG241W 24.1" LCD Monitor - runs for 2.1k+ this is aimed at Professional Photographers

SAMSUNG XL30 Black 30" 6ms(GTG) Widescreen LED backlight LCD Monitor 200 cd/m2 1000:1 - This thing is like double what the Eizo ColorEdge cost.
QUOTE Thanks
GoodTimeJoey

alright, I think i'll just buy an apple display.
I have 1400 to spend on equipment.
and other than this monitor i'll need to get just a camera stand, and memory cards, and a laptop case.
that should all be within the budget.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
alright, I think i'll just buy an apple display.
I have 1400 to spend on equipment.
and other than this monitor i'll need to get just a camera stand, and memory cards, and a laptop case.
that should all be within the budget.
I would hope so!

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« microsoft office upload on g3 | Mouse problems on WoW »