New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Average Life of a Clamshell

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sunflowernbklyn

sunflowernbklyn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 300mhz 192mb 6gb

Hello Fellow Mac Machine Lovers,

I was wondering if anyone who has owned or currently owns a clamshell laptop can tell me what the general conck out year for one of these models is? I have a tangerine model which i purchased about 2 1/2 months ago and i love it. It's slow but it's great for writing plays and articles which is what i do. I ask this because i know they came out in the late 90's early 2000 so i'd like to know if i should max it out to 544 and go for the max gb or if i should max the mb out to 544 and go with an external drive. The last external seagate drive i purchased didn't work with the clamshell so it's currently connected to my pc. Eventually i'd like to get a mac mini but for right now my questions are:

1. What is the maximum gb a clamshell model can take?
2. Is it better to max out the mb and gb?
3. Should i forget about maxing out the gb and just go with the external drive?
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

I had one that died this year, I think it was made in 99?

I don't really understand the mb/gb question. You mean the RAM and hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You could upgrade it, but as long as it is still doing what you want of it there is no point sinking more money into it with ram and hd upgrades

Either put the upgrade money towards a brand new mac mini, ot look for a second hand intel mini that might be a better investment for your money

The clamshells were good, and I would hang on to it, but save your money for a newer mac rather than throw money at the clam

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ibook_366.html
QUOTE Thanks
sunflowernbklyn

sunflowernbklyn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 300mhz 192mb 6gb

Thanks for the insight. and i was trying to say what you referred to skaheadpunk. I'm not very savy when it comes to computer lingo.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« first questions, search came up with nothing. | Should I get a Powebook G4 or iBook G3? »