New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

cheapest place to buy vista

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gal_amy

gal_amy is an unknown at this point

Where is the cheapest place to buy Vista? I looked on Microsoft I think it was $125. What about software support? Will it come with the software? I'm thinking of adding it to my MacBook. I play Sim People, use Agent as my newsreader. Those are about the only Windows programs I use. Would it be worth it to buy vista?

I'm trying Crossover, but It doesn't want to download the header's in agent. I can't get it to work with the internet.

I get tons of info off USENET and web forums.

Amy
QUOTE Thanks
budafied

budafied is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB

check journeyed.com. They usually have good prices, even on Vista Ultimate. You could also look on forums/ebay for people selling oem copies...

11.6" MacBook Air Ultimate
PS3 Slim, Xbox 360 S, 40" Sony LCD
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

The value of the effort is completely subjective. If you can't live without those two programs, then I guess it is worth it. Honestly, though, there are more than a few excellent RSS readers for the Mac out there. I use NetNewsWire, but a lot of people use Newsfire. Both are free! So it really boils down to the game. It's your choice.

You can probably find Vista on eBay and Amazon for excellent prices.

QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

I would definitely recommend NetNewsWire and NewsFire. There both really powerful yet simply applications to use. You should check them out…

Vikram Shah
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gal_amy View Post
Where is the cheapest place to buy Vista? I looked on Microsoft I think it was $125. What about software support? Will it come with the software? I'm thinking of adding it to my MacBook. I play Sim People, use Agent as my newsreader. Those are about the only Windows programs I use. Would it be worth it to buy vista?

I'm trying Crossover, but It doesn't want to download the header's in agent. I can't get it to work with the internet.

I get tons of info off USENET and web forums.

Amy
Hi:

OEM copies of Vista including SP1 are actually reasonably priced if you do some shopping around. I found a copy of a system builder's OEM Full install Vista Home Premium for $95.00 plus free shipping. So look around. Stay away from eBay and Craig's list. Too easy to unknowingly buy an illegal copy.

As for good old Agent, the best free NNTP program for OS X is Mozilla Thunderbird. I use it for NNTP and other news feeds. Works great, easy to setup, and best of all it's free. (Forget Crossover, IMO, it's a waste of money)

You can also use Thunderbird for your email client if you prefer it over Mac Mail.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 400 mhz 2GB ram 80 G HD Tiger OS

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...formacosx.html
Sims are available for Mac. It'll probably be cheaper than Vista, and you won't be buying a dying operating system. Vista's the new windoze Me, M*soft is investing more in the next OS "seven".

To to the economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
PowerMac G3 Blue & White, G4 Graphite, iPod mini
QUOTE Thanks
gal_amy

gal_amy is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheMacGeek View Post
The value of the effort is completely subjective. If you can't live without those two programs, then I guess it is worth it. Honestly, though, there are more than a few excellent RSS readers for the Mac out there. I use NetNewsWire, but a lot of people use Newsfire. Both are free! So it really boils down to the game. It's your choice.

You can probably find Vista on eBay and Amazon for excellent prices.
I took a look at those two programs, but I'm not interested in RSS feeds, it's Usenet I'm more interested in. But thanks anyway.

Amy
QUOTE Thanks
Tex-Twil

Tex-Twil has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
I' not 100% but I think that it is better to have the x64 version of Vista or XP since the hardware is 64 bits. Could somebody confirm this ?

tex
QUOTE Thanks
ATLienGeorgia

ATLienGeorgia is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4GHZ PROCESSOR / 4GB RAM / 200GB HHD - iPhone 3G 16GB Black

http://www.panic.com/unison/

Panic software makes a great usenet program. Check it out, I use 2 of panics other programs so I can vouch for them being great!

ATLChris

http://www.ATLChris.com <--- Check out my personal blog!
QUOTE Thanks
belunos

belunos will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66

Don't buy an OEM copy unless it's from a dealer. Those versions can only be used on the systems they were first activated on. AFAIK the retail copies can be transferred, but not the OEM versions
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLienGeorgia View Post
http://www.panic.com/unison/

Panic software makes a great usenet program. Check it out, I use 2 of panics other programs so I can vouch for them being great!
Unison is hands-down one of the best Newsreaders I've ever used on any platform. I used Forte Agent on Windows as well, and while it was decent, I think Unison makes it look archaic in comparison.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
clamsjager

clamsjager is on a distinguished road

if your in college check your library or it help desk, they usually sell Microsoft products for cheap IE: 20-25$. if your not in college try ebay, everyone and there brother is selling it cheap because it still sucks.

15 inch MacBook Pro 2.4, 200gb, 4gb, 256mb.
Custom gaming rig built by yours truely
2008 subaru WRX, not so stock.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Do I want the AppleCare Protection Plan? | Sell me a Macbook!!! »