New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Advice on switch to OSX on my PB G3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Abemac

Alright, I feel Apple has left me out in the cold. I bought a Powerbook G3 400mhz 6GB HD 512MB ram OS 9 brand new in Aug.of 2000. Since OSX is out everything about my online experience sucks. There are only 2 choices of browsers- netscape 7.1 or ms explorer 5.1. They both have problems with numerous sites. It seems things are not compatible with these older browsers.

So I would like to know if my machine can support OSX well. I realize I will need to upgrade my HD to a faster one. What I've read the 60GB 7200rpm is what I should get. I have enough ram, but I DO NOT want OSX to crawl. I have heard that it would be slow and not worth it, but reading some of these forums I'm hearing it would run OSX "Panther" pretty good. Is this true? And if so, how do I get a 60GB HD and get it installed and where and how much for the HD and Panther OSX.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
keyvan

http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/

Choose the pb ur trying to upgrade, go to HD.
I believe you have more than enough ram to run OS X fine, i had been running it on my powerbook g4 with only 256 mb ram. But that 400mhz of course is the problem here, and since im not quite up to speed with ppc procs, i am not gonna claim to you that it will run, but seems ur good if u upgrade the hd (i know mac os takes at least like 8 gigs). plus i dont know anything about upgrading the os from 9 to x, so dont listen to me
QUOTE Thanks
AdmiralSpock

AdmiralSpock is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac 7200/75: Mac OS 7.6.1; iMac 233mhz Mac OS X 10.1.5; PowerBook 180c, Mac OS 7.5.3

If it's the original PB G3, I've heard that OSX won't run at all on it...
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSpock
If it's the original PB G3, I've heard that OSX won't run at all on it...
You were misinformed, as OS X will run just fine on a 400 MHz PB G3.

Abemac - You're correct that your HDD is a bit small, but you could most likely get away with leaving it, though you'd have little room left for other applications. You can purchase Panther from Apple, or on eBay. The list price is $130, unless you qualify for the educational discount. As for hard drives, shop around at various stores, but Newegg usually has good prices.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Abemac

Padawan,

Thanks for the info. If my PB will run it, then this computer will be primarily used for an internet machine from the couch, since I am connected wireless via airport. My main machine is a Dell. (I know, I know), but I need it for my work applications. Anywho, if an upgrade will keep this PB humming and doing simple stuff like: internet, email, DVD's, basic word Processing, Phonebook database, Digital photo storage, etc. Can you feel my pain? I am weighing the cost of keeping this PB!

My wife will mainly use it and I want it to be simple to use and not SLOW. Could you offer more insight as to OSX and how I am planning on using it?

Oh yeah, the guy at comp usa told me that the bottleneck in my computer if I add OS X is the video card. I have an 8mb video with 1mb L2 backside cache.

Also should I have virtual memory on? and to what settings?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for the help.

Abemac
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

No problem,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abemac
Padawan,

Thanks for the info. If my PB will run it, then this computer will be primarily used for an internet machine from the couch, since I am connected wireless via airport. My main machine is a Dell. (I know, I know), but I need it for my work applications. Anywho, if an upgrade will keep this PB humming and doing simple stuff like: internet, email, DVD's, basic word Processing, Phonebook database, Digital photo storage, etc. Can you feel my pain? I am weighing the cost of keeping this PB!

Your machine with Panther installed (and a larger HDD) should handle all of these tasks with no problem.

My wife will mainly use it and I want it to be simple to use and not SLOW. Could you offer more insight as to OSX and how I am planning on using it?

I currently run Panther on a 300 MHz Beige G3 with 768 MB of RAM and 6 MB of video memory, and it is perfectly fine for almost all of my everyday needs. It's important to remember that these older machines are now far from "state of the art" and won't perform like newer G4 or G5's, but their performance is still completely acceptable. I definitely wouldn't characterize my Beige G3 with Panther as "slow". I think your wife will find Panther quite easy to use.

Oh yeah, the guy at comp usa told me that the bottleneck in my computer if I add OS X is the video card. I have an 8mb video with 1mb L2 backside cache.

The video card is one of the limiting factors, but again, it won't be such a hinderance as to make your machine painfully slow or unusable for everyday tasks.

Also should I have virtual memory on? and to what settings?

Panther will take care of virtual memory for you. You'll basically just do the installation and you'll be ready to go.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
ryanmt

ryanmt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Apple iMAC Core Duo (20"/1gb/250/SD/BT/AP)

How can I upgrade my G3 iBook Clamshell to OSX? I REALLY WANT OSX! It has 192 mb ram. Its currently running OS 9.2.2. Thanks!

PS-- PLEASE SEND RESPONSES TO rmtho at comcast.net
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video Disappeared | iChat question »