Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6ghz, 4gb ram, 200gb 7200rpm, 17" HD GLOSSY
    New MBP owner and first time MAC user!
    Greetings all, first post. I am a long time and forever PC user. I have been designing software and building systems as a hobby for PC's. I have never even sat in front of a MAC. NO CLUE! I know every in and out of Window's and behavior of the PC.

My brand new MBP 2.6ghz, 4gb ram, 200mb 7200rpm, 17" high def wide GLOSSY will be here on Thursday.

Very excited. And would greatly appreciate any tips, tricks, comments from all.

Thanks a lot

Specs:
    MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
    I think the best way with a Mac is just to relax. Try to remember that though it will do the same things as a PC it might not do them in the same way - or you get really frustrated! So yeah, sit and play with it for a while, feel your way a bit, and we're all here if you have any questions at all.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by skaheadpunk View Post
    I think the best way with a Mac is just to relax. Try to remember that though it will do the same things as a PC it might not do them in the same way - or you get really frustrated! So yeah, sit and play with it for a while, feel your way a bit, and we're all here if you have any questions at all.

Thank you, I will do just that!

Specs:
    MacBook

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Welcome to the Mac.

Prepare for an adjustment period. In some senses, it will be kind of like coming from the US and driving in the UK; everything is basically the same, only its different. Go with the flow. Play around with the OS. Your keyboard shortcuts will mostly be the same, for example... except that you will use the command key instead of the control key. Throw in the option (similar to alt) key with your shortcuts and see what happens. Learn to understand your new environment. Once you "get it" you'll be fine.
    My Macs: MacbookPro, MacPro, Lab of 30 various Macs
    My Sites:Apple-inspired Tees ~ iSwitched ~ Fix My Mac~ Apple Buyer's Guide

Specs:
    Ok....Been in a state of confusion for 24 hours now. This is quite an adjustment.

I for the life of me, cannot figure out how to right click from the touchpad.

For example, when in firefox, if I want to open a link in a new tab, or correct a misspelt highlighted word, how can I do that?

Specs:
    Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by jungleland26 View Post
    Ok....Been in a state of confusion for 24 hours now. This is quite an adjustment.

For example, when in firefox, if I want to open a link in a new tab, or correct a misspelt highlighted word, how can I do that?
    Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Mouse tab

Here you can set two finger click. Once enabled, to right click, place two fingers on the track pad and click. It will be like a normal right click in windows.

This will also allow you to scroll vertically and horizontally with 2 fingers on the track pad. So if you wanted to scroll down just put 2 fingers on the track pad and make a downward motion.

Hope that helps.
    Use not abuse the rep system!

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by tkim View Post
    Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Mouse tab

Here you can set two finger click. Once enabled, to right click, place two fingers on the track pad and click. It will be like a normal right click in windows.

This will also allow you to scroll vertically and horizontally with 2 fingers on the track pad. So if you wanted to scroll down just put 2 fingers on the track pad and make a downward motion.

Hope that helps.

WAHOOOOOOOOOO!!

Thank you.. that made this A LOT more comfortable

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    beware, other touchpads suck after the two finger touchpad
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post

LOL! as I was navigating back to this page, I thought "man, using the touchpad on my dell is a pain compared to the two fingers required on the MBP"

LOVING THIS!

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by jungleland26 View Post

Had you read through the sticky thread I directed you to, you would not have had to go past the second post in it to find your answer:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...32&postcount=2

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
    Had you read through the sticky thread I directed you to, you would not have had to go past the second post in it to find your answer:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...32&postcount=2

I have been reading through it. The initial post has so much information. I'm taking it all in little by little Don't want to overload.

Thanks again..

Specs:
    MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
    If you go to System Preferences> Mouse and Keyboard you can check a box to use a two-fingered tap as a right click if that works for you, or use Ctrl+click. Cmd+T should also open a new tab for you, or if you hold Command when you click on a link it'll open in a new tab (might depend on you preferences though).

Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    Amen, I am so used to the two-finger scrolling that when I move to an older (or different) trackpad, I'm like.. oh, yeah... can't do that.
    My Macs: MacbookPro, MacPro, Lab of 30 various Macs
    My Sites:Apple-inspired Tees ~ iSwitched ~ Fix My Mac~ Apple Buyer's Guide

Thread Information