08-09-2008, 06:54 AM #1
Time machine - I need some advice before getting started.
- Member Since
- Aug 24, 2007
I would like to use time machine on my 24" Intel imac. I have a couple of questions before I purchase an external HDD.
1. Does time machine only create backups of files, or complete HDD disk images like super duper?
2. Can I store both time machine backup files and super duper images on the same HDD? Or will the HDD exclusively be for time machine?
2a. If so, can I boot up off the time machine HDD to restore super duper images?
2b. Do I need to store the super duper images in a separate folder, partition?
3. Firewire or USB - Any advantages over the other? Will my imac boot off either?
4. I have a 320 gig HDD in my imac - any recommendations re/ size of external HDD required for time machine?
5. If I use an external 3.5" HDD, I need to keep it plugged into power all the time. After a certain amount of time, I guess the HDD will go to sleep until it's required. Sound correct? I guess I was concerned about the life of the drive if it's spinning for 8-10 hour a day!
Thanks in advance...
08-09-2008, 11:25 AM #2
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By cj1739 in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 3Last Post: 10-28-2013, 12:44 PM
By Loathe in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 21Last Post: 03-30-2010, 10:14 PM
By Quicktime_GT in forum Other Hardware and PeripheralsReplies: 5Last Post: 03-26-2009, 06:57 PM
By justahaze in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 0Last Post: 03-19-2009, 12:18 PM
By IZVERG in forum OS X - Apps and GamesReplies: 6Last Post: 08-27-2008, 04:54 PM