New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Remove item from dock

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stanley

Okay, allow me post what has to be the dumbest question on this forum...
How do I remove an item / icon from the dock.

In addition to this:
How do I uninstall programs ? Is there a list of all installed software on your machine somewhere (and next to each item an uninstall button)?

Like I said before. I used to be a windows guy. Still learning the mac-ropes.

Stanley
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

To remove a dock icon.. click on the icon and hold down your mouse button.. then drag it off of the dock and then let it drop to the eternal fires below!

To unninstall programs, find the program directory that you want to uninstall, click on it, hold down your mouse button and drag it to the trash icon on your dock.. drop it into the trash, empty the trash. Or you can control click on the folder and select "Move to Trash"

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Also Stanley, I might suggest Mac OS X: The Missing Manual. It was a really helpful book for me when I first switched!

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn

To unninstall programs, find the program directory that you want to uninstall, click on it, hold down your mouse button and drag it to the trash icon on your dock.. drop it into the trash, empty the trash. Or you can control click on the folder and select "Move to Trash"

Cheers!
Okay - did that a couple of times now...
But now I see that sometimes there are still files left of that application in other folders (library/application support/....). So if you install / remove a lot of programs (e.g. for testing purposes) your system gets kindof 'dirty' after a while from all the small files that are still there from uninstalled software....

Stanley
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

This is true and this is one of the complaints that people have with Mac, not just OS X, throughout the years. They really do need an uninstaller, but for some reason they refuse to create one Anyways if you really want to clean it out, do like you said, go to Library/Application support, library/preferences etc and clean out the files that you do not have applications for anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
fairydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
To remove a dock icon.. click on the icon and hold down your mouse button.. then drag it off of the dock and then let it drop to the eternal fires below!

Cheers!
Hi
I clicked and dragged the icon off the dock and it jumps right back into dock---now what?
Fairydust
QUOTE Thanks
Fomer

You have to quit the program first so their is no little black arrow under it.
QUOTE Thanks
jcromartie

As far as leaving bits and pieces in your library, there's no harm done. No other application is going to go reading the wrong preferences. They all have distinctly different names. And for the Applications Support folder, those are also only used by the specific application. Yes, they do take up disk space... but last time I checked, my Application Support folder was 15 MB, and Preferences was 7 MB. I don't think that's cause for alarm.
QUOTE Thanks
macbookmaster

macbookmaster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: uhhh macbook (black) 120gb HD 2gb Ram and a intel core duo processor at 2.o ghz

there is an aplication called appcleaner or something like that.... if you want add me on aim or send me a message and i can send you a dl link..... i dont have time to find it now
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbookmaster View Post
there is an aplication called appcleaner or something like that.... if you want add me on aim or send me a message and i can send you a dl link..... i dont have time to find it now
They haven't asked for help in about 4 years. I'm pretty sure they figured it out.
QUOTE Thanks
macbookmaster

macbookmaster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: uhhh macbook (black) 120gb HD 2gb Ram and a intel core duo processor at 2.o ghz

HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! i didnt even notice.... HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbookmaster View Post
HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! i didnt even notice.... HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!
Neither snow, nor ice, nor sleet, nor time will keep us from our appointed rounds of help.........
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem With Dock | Deleting FanControlDaemon »