New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

In need of resource

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

soccerphysio

soccerphysio is on a distinguished road

This forum has been a tremendous asset as I try to learn the intricacies of Macs. However, I seem to have new questions pop up everyday that are probably very basic, and I hate to keep cluttering the forum with them.

I am trying to learn how to get my Mac to run smoother for everyday tasks, such as opening attachments without having to navigate through multiple windows, how best to save files and where, etc. What seems to have compounded my difficulties is that the new Firefox browser seems to also cause some increased management of everyday tasks (for instance, I set it to open all .doc attachments using Preview, yet it still asks how would I like to view the attachment every time, and I still have to click on the download window to open the attachment). I am sure there is a way that attachments will open automatically once you click on them!

Is there a resource that a newbie like me could access that would help with the very basic functions of Macs, including how to customize it?

I have loved my iMac since I got it 2 months ago, but now I am struggling with how to increase my efficiency with it.

Thanks for any guidance you all can provide!
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

surprisingly the built in help in Mac OS X is actually helpful; just search what you need help with under the help menu. E.g firewall, network, attachments etc...

Vikram Shah
QUOTE Thanks
jroller

jroller is on a distinguished road

There are a number of sites for switchers: here, of course, the iSwitched link in my sig, switchingtomac.com, for example. There are also some good books to consider; I like David Pogue's Missing Manual series.

My Macs: MacbookPro, MacPro, Lab of 30 various Macs
My Sites:Apple-inspired Tees ~ iSwitched ~ Fix My Mac~ Apple Buyer's Guide
QUOTE Thanks
techound1

Location: Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come visit me --->
techound1 has a spectacular aura about

I second the missing manual series. I believe there is even one for switchers.
QUOTE Thanks
scottyc

scottyc is on a distinguished road

I am also very new to mac and have been looking for anything to help me as well. I did find quite a few on ebay, one was mac os x for dummies and there were a few more. I dont know how good they are yet but it may be worth looking into.
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

You might also try using the Search function in this forum. You can find out a lot that way. I did this when I first got my Mac and it helped me a lot. Kind of like a private tutorial where I pick the subject I want to learn about. I would start with the Switcher category and after that just go to the area you want to learn about. Just scroll down the list of posts, etc. I also second the Help function in Mac. It is great.
QUOTE Thanks
soccerphysio

soccerphysio is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys...I will definitely try those suggestions!
QUOTE Thanks
jroller

jroller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by techound1 View Post
I second the missing manual series. I believe there is even one for switchers.
There is, indeed. There is a link to it and a couple of others on the iSwitched site.

My Macs: MacbookPro, MacPro, Lab of 30 various Macs
My Sites:Apple-inspired Tees ~ iSwitched ~ Fix My Mac~ Apple Buyer's Guide
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« downloading files, newbie questions | Audio Hijack Pro »