New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What the equivalent of Add/remove programs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

blackbookie

blackbookie is on a distinguished road

yes how do i go to add remove programs in a mac and how do i remove that program?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

just put it in the trash, its that simple
QUOTE Thanks
blackbookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
just put it in the trash, its that simple
are you serious?
that will erase everything associated with that program?

NO WAY!!??
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It might leave behind a preference file in the library but that's it.

OS X apps do not tend to scatter files all over the system, right click on an app and select show contents, and you will see that an app is not one file, but a sort of container with all the apps resources inside.

There are apps like app cleaner that will also delete the preferences if you want to be extra tidy
QUOTE Thanks
Mark W

Mark W is on a distinguished road

If the app had an installer (like photoshop) it might also have an uninstaller.

Although for most apps, you drag to the applications folder to install, and drag to trash to uninstall
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

Yh, you simply drag an application to trash to remove it from your computer.

The only file/s that are left on your mac that are associated with that application are preferences files which do not slow down your mac, they merely take up disk space (only a few KB's). Sometimes an application may also leave behind cache files, however these files do not slow down your mac either, they just take up disk space.

If you do want to delete everything associated with a certain application just drag it to the trash and then search the applications name in spotlight. Delete the results that are associated with the application that you just moved to the trash.

However as mentioned before applications that install via an installer will require an uninstaller to uninstall fully. Uninstallers are located in the applications folder. So for example to uninstall Photoshop, look for a photoshop folder in the applications folder and in that folder there should be an uninstaller and an application as well. To uninstall just launch the uninstaller

Vikram Shah
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbookie View Post
are you serious?
that will erase everything associated with that program?

NO WAY!!??
Awesome, isn't it?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Carla

Carla has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MB-white uni 2.26GHz, 4GB, 250GB; Mac mini 2.0 C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD; iPod Touch 32GB; 16GB Wi-Fi iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbookie View Post
yes how do i go to add remove programs in a mac and how do i remove that program?
Give AppZapper a try.
QUOTE Thanks
blackbookie

WOW THIS IS AMAZING
i WOULD HAVE SEX WITH MY MACBOOK RIGHT NOW!!!! ITS SO GOOd
QUOTE Thanks
Hit

Hit is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla View Post