New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Deleting Duplicate Photos?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nackteziege

nackteziege is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz MacBook White 2GB RAM

Okay, I recently went through a crisis with iPhoto.

Being a former Windows user, I did something Windows-y by thinking I had imported pictures twice and deleting "duplicates" in the Finder. These were in fact iPhoto thumbnails or something needed for my Events, I guess. I realized my error and dragged everything out of the trash. I E-mailed Bill at MacHelp, who was awesome and told me how to restore iPhoto's library. Good stuff. Now I still think I have extra files sitting around on my machine. Is it safe to re-delete those that I had put in the trash now? Is there a way I can find them all without doing it manually? I'm worried about these taking up precious space on my new Macbook, you know?

Thanks guys! This is my first post, but I hope to not be one of those posters who signs up just to get their question answered. I really have little help to offer though--perhaps in time.

New switcher on a Macbook; trying her best to "think different".
MacBook & iPod Touch user.
QUOTE Thanks
Mark W

Mark W is on a distinguished road

In iPhoto's preferences (cmd ,) under the advanced tab, there is an option to copy files when they are imported.

If that is on, and was on when you imported, it is safe to delete the files after they have been imported.

This also applies to music in iTunes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newb question about video card...... | New iMac ordered... »