New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Disk cleanup equivalent on mac???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thetruth

thetruth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz Blackbook, 4GB memory, 250GB HD

As the title says, does mac have a disk cleanup equivalent? Is there need for such a program? Sorry if these questions are dumb to ask but I'm a total noob to OS X.

I accidentally double posted the same thread, can a mod or admin please delete the other thread please.

Loving OSX!!!
QUOTE Thanks
LadyInRed

LadyInRed is on a distinguished road

Appzapper works really well and will likely do what you want.

http://www.appzapper.com/

When we worry about tomorrow, we rob ourselves of the joy we could be feeling today!
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Be careful with those cleanup utilities! None of them is smart enough to consistently make correct decisions on your Mac. You really need to be smarter than the utility. Besides, the Mac runs various defrag, and cache cleaning processes automagically. Are you having any particular problems?
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Besides, the Mac runs various defrag, and cache cleaning processes automagically.
which is why i love mac... everything on the mac's are "automagically"

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

If you are really paranoid, you can run Onyx..it's always done pretty good for me.
QUOTE Thanks
thetruth

thetruth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz Blackbook, 4GB memory, 250GB HD

Im not having any problems. I was just asking because I was used to running Disk Cleanup on Windows and I wasn't sure if I needed to run such a program on a Mac.

Loving OSX!!!
QUOTE Thanks
KiwiJenn

KiwiJenn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver

This is something I really enjoy about owning a Mac, is not having to maintain the computer every couple of days. The Mac just doesn't have all these problems that maintaince is needed. The only thing I do myself, is run the three scripts via MainMenu.

I use AppZapper to remove applications (programs) as it removes all files related to the program. AppDelete is another appliction that does the same

Basically you will have more time to use your Mac and do what you want on the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
Im not having any problems. I was just asking because I was used to running Disk Cleanup on Windows and I wasn't sure if I needed to run such a program on a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto, MobileMe Gallery and resizing picture | Removing Thread »