New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

single white male looking for laptop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

el_mark

el_mark is on a distinguished road

Not like the white part means anything, this IS an age of acceptance and all... but I felt like it fit.

Okay, here's the deal-

My entire life I've owned Windows computers and they're great. But! I'm tired of them, I want to try something new, and just about my only other practical option is a Mac. I'm leaving for school this fall, so a laptop makes the most sense, I'm going to use it for typing papers (do you do this in college?) internet-ing, listening to music, probably most important to me, making music, and now for some ridiculous and totally fictional except under extreme circumstances: self defense, fire blanket, flotation device, cutting board and table leg spacer (you know, when one leg is shorter)

So, What Mac would you suggest for me? Keep in mind when I say Mac, I'm referring to the broad spectrum of all that is Macintosh laptop, I don't know all the lingo yet. My budget.....eeeehh I really don't want to spend more than 2 grand, but plus or minus a couple hundred is possible. Looks isn't a factor, fluffy pink and streamers isn't a problem, nothing scissors and black spray paint can't fix. Nor is size, I've seen the little flimsy air ones, and I'm secure enough with my masculinity to dance around with one of those...
And like I said, music, big deal...garage band rocks (I've played around with it) do all Macs come with it?

oh, and I have a minor World of Warcraft addiction, t5/t6 gnome destro lock (if you can call that minor) so if anyone who sees this and is a WoW player, give me your insight.

thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
Spork

Spork can only hope to improve

Macbook 2.4ghz 2gigs ram

1400 at the mac store

You can also buy third party ram if you feel you need to upgrade and or you can run everything off an external hd and keep the internal hdd clean and neat.
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

Windows is getting worse and worse. Vista is about the most terrible OS I've used. Mac OS X is great, but if you're really looking for an adventure, try GNU/Linux! I recommend the Ubuntu distro - it's great for newbies and supports a lot of hardware. Dell has computers that come with Ubuntu preinstalled.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_mark View Post
And like I said, music, big deal...garage band rocks (I've played around with it) do all Macs come with it?

oh, and I have a minor World of Warcraft addiction, t5/t6 gnome destro lock (if you can call that minor) so if anyone who sees this and is a WoW player, give me your insight.
Yes they do.

It sounds like you need a Macbook Pro if you want to play WoW on it.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
J_K

J_K will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD

If you want your WoW addiction satisfied then Macbook Pro is your best bet.

t2/t3 elemental troll shaman. And I still use my PC for playing WoW because I've got a Macbook.

The pro gets the added benefit of a seperate graphics card which you will definately need in IF.

Oh.
And Horde are the daddies. You know it really

First came a shuffle. Then an 8gb 3rd gen nano.
Next a macbook.
Then an Ipod Touch. And a Nikon D300. Not an Apple but gets used with the macbook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« P2P client trouble (SoulSeeX) | Switch Time! »