New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Banking software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marty@turnpoint

marty@turnpoint is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, 2 GB memory, 200 GB hard drive, Leopard

Has anyone used iBank or Squirrel to manage their banking? I have used MS Money on my PC, for years, but don't want to load Windows on my Mac.

I contacted the help desk at Quicken and they assured me that it would be a piece of cake. They gave me a free copy of Quicken for PC, with directions for and exporting my Money files, to Quicken for PC, then, they said I could move the data over to Quicken in the Mac.

I spent several hours following their instructions for exporting data from Money to Quicken on my PC, to the letter, and finally got to the point of transferring the data. It failed. Another phone call to India. New instructions, so complex and convoluted I was appalled and completely discouraged.

I went to the user forum at Quicken and the word "nightmare" was frequently used when referring to a switch from Quicken for PC to Quicken for Mac. I returned the software and am still using Money on my old laptop, but I want a solution for my Mac.

I am considering finishing this year with Money on my PC and then saving it on my external hard drive. Then I will start afresh with some sort of banking software on my Mac. I don't want to track investments, just keep track of several bank accounts, transfer funds between them, and download transactions from my bank.

Anyone have any suggesstions?
QUOTE Thanks
Spork

Spork can only hope to improve

This just might help you out. Good luck buddy!

http://news.worldofapple.com/archive...ware-standoff/
QUOTE Thanks
fishepa

fishepa is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini

I use vmware to run windows just for Quicken. It simply works better that way.

War Eagle!
QUOTE Thanks
theDarkStranger

theDarkStranger is on a distinguished road

what about mint.com?

. .. :::MESS WITH THE BEST, DIE LIKE THE REST::: .. .
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Or Checkbook:

http://www.splasm.com/
QUOTE Thanks
jskwarek

jskwarek is on a distinguished road

I too am looking for a replacement to M$ Money. This is the only reason I'm still tethered to VMWare and would love to get rid of Windows once and for all.

I've been a hardcore Money user for many moons and this was my biggest concern when taking the plunge into the Mac world. I used Quicken for 3 months and was so frustrated with balancing and paying bills that I soon started trying every piece of software I could find, (iBank, ChaChing...) and I still haven't found anything with a simple interface to pay bills online, balance accounts, and transfer money between accounts like M$ Money.

For those hardcore M$ Money users I'd like to hear what you've gone to. My biggest problem is finding something that does online integration with banks and allows for automatic and manual balancing.

Jason
QUOTE Thanks
marty@turnpoint

marty@turnpoint is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, 2 GB memory, 200 GB hard drive, Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskwarek View Post
I too am looking for a replacement to M$ Money. This is the only reason I'm still tethered to VMWare and would love to get rid of Windows once and for all.

I've been a hardcore Money user for many moons and this was my biggest concern when taking the plunge into the Mac world. I used Quicken for 3 months and was so frustrated with balancing and paying bills that I soon started trying every piece of software I could find, (iBank, ChaChing...) and I still haven't found anything with a simple interface to pay bills online, balance accounts, and transfer money between accounts like M$ Money.

For those hardcore M$ Money users I'd like to hear what you've gone to. My biggest problem is finding something that does online integration with banks and allows for automatic and manual balancing.

Jason
Jason, I am glad to get your post. I have used MSMoney since it was first released. I need to replace it, so I can retire my PC.
You said you had tried ChaChing and iBank. What is your opinion of them. What features did they lack that made them unacceptable?

My primary concerns are downloading transactions from my bank and credit cards. AX and Visa both download to Quicken and Money, but don't offer any other options, so I expect that is one of the problems you are encountering. I wonder what one does for a work around. Wonder if one could download those files to "Numbers" and keep them that way. Only need them for tax time.

Any information you have will be welcome.

Marty
QUOTE Thanks
jskwarek

My biggest issue, was exactly what you need... The lack of integration with any of my banks (WaMu, USAA, Discover...). My banks offer a way to download files I could then import in, so maybe if you only need to do it once a year it will work better for you. I'm the anal retentive type that will balance all my accounts to the penny twice a month and the lack of good integration of any type turned this project into a couple hours instead of a couple minutes.

If you're going to use ChaChing you might as well create your own simple spreadsheet.

iBank was a little more robust with integration with the banks, but it's simplistic approach to everything was too simplistic so a more complicated transaction than a simple in and out would always seem to get screwed up and the account balancing online was never right in the 2-3 months I tried to work with it. It always seemed like things were getting double dipped or not recorded at all. I thought maybe it was due to the data I had imported in so I started from scratch and within a month I was right back in the same boat and frustrated as ****. Tracking bills and when their due is a big part of what I use in M$ Money and there wasn't anything useful like that in iBank.

Quicken on the other hand was so robust I felt like I needed to call a CPA to help me pay bills, it only lasted a month before I gave up maybe I should have given that more time but I started reading forums and everyone's gripe was the same as mine so I flipped that out quickly.

I really did give it the old College try because I didn't want to cave and load VMWare but finally gave up and created a 2GB partition and caved to the need.

Jason
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

One of the biggest issues for banking software on the west bank of the Atlantic (that's the UK) is that many of these otherwise excellent programs mentioned are not localised (or localized !) for the UK market. We need "cheques", "shares", "current accounts" so we're pretty well stuck with MS money.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Maybe, if you cannot ditch MS Money, but don't want to install windows try running MS Money in Crossover for mac (part of the Darwine project)

But agreed, a proper solution needs to be created for the mac
QUOTE Thanks
Gandalph

Gandalph has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.

I use iBank now that I have switched to Mac and I love it. It's is better than MSMoney in my opinion. Get the free trial and give it a go. I don't think you will be disappointed.
QUOTE Thanks
lynx2cross

lynx2cross is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 1.83ghz

Well since I've never used quicken or MS money, this may not be what you're looking for but Mint.com is a great financial site to keep track of all your accounts in one place. And the great thing is that you don't have to download anything and it's secure.
QUOTE Thanks
jskwarek

I use MINT, and while it's great for understanding your finances and looking at your balances at a quick glance it doesn't give you the ability to enter transactions, it simply reports your bank information.

Jason
QUOTE Thanks
PKGuy323

PKGuy323 will become famous soon enough

I've completed my first year as a Mac "switcher" and am getting off the Windows bottle soon. The last two things are my MS Money 2006 replacement and of course, the most important, UT3!

If you Google "Mac Financial apps", you'll find a few articles about there not being a good finance app for Mac, how Quicken sucks, and how MS Money is still the best finance app out there. Alot of negative reviews about iBank as well and IMO that was for prior versions and releases. I downloaded a lot of Mac finance demos and some were insanely humorous by calling themselves a finance app or an MS Money killer. Most of them were still "in initial development".

The two I came down to testing more in-depth were MoneyDance and iBank 3. Since I have a Mac, I want my software to look like Mac and not like an old Linux program. With the vast reconciliation improvement from iBank 3.4 to 3.4.1(still think it should be bumped all the way to 3.5), the new reconcile feature is what sold it for me. If you use MobileMe, then you'll love the free iPhone app that it comes with. I understand an improved widget is forthcoming for the Dashboard, so all the development to refine and add new features to a functional software is very encouraging to me.

Overall, I am content with iBank. While it doesn't have every feature that MS Money has(none of the Mac Finance apps do), I believe with the active development AND the active input of the end-users, iBank will certainly become the MS Money killer it needs to be. As of last weekend, I've imported 10 years of data into iBank(without a flaw in the data) and have closed out MS Money.

There is a demo available and the iBank forums have alot of valuable info...check them out!

IGG Software | Personal finance, money management and small business applications for Mac OS X
QUOTE Thanks
TheWanderingJu

TheWanderingJu is on a distinguished road

Just downloaded iBank. It will not communicate with Bank of America. I called BofA, as suggested, and they were unable to help me. Any suggestions? This banking program conundrum is a nightmare. Thanks - have a wonderful day.

Judi
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« online back up recomendations | Keychain issues »