New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Why does Apple use IBM processors?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mlazuka

Hello, this may sound like a dumb question, but why does Apple use IBM processors instead of intel or AMD? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
iSheep

It's something to do with the architecture of the chips. IBM's architecture is called RISC, or something like that. Plus, Intel's are quite slow in comparison to a G5.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheep
It's something to do with the architecture of the chips. IBM's architecture is called RISC, or something like that. Plus, Intel's are quite slow in comparison to a G5.
It is definitely the hardware architecture that is the biggest difference between Intel/AMD and the PowerPC line of CPUs. The way they work is very different, it's not only the RISC-part.
Intels are slower? That's a common oversimplifaction in the Mac-world...it depends on what kind of things you want to do, and of course of the hardware surrounding it. You can easily build up a 3Ghz Intel PC for around $800,- and use the same CPU in a $3000,- PC...the speed difference would be significant.
A computer's speed builds up on the combination of it's hardware and OS, and how well software is programmed...simply blaiming the CPU is downright wrong.
Apple's G5 computer are very fast machines, nevertheless it's still possible to build a faster PC, at around the same price...it just lacks a good, stable, easy-to-use OS...
QUOTE Thanks
mlazuka

Thanks guys, but why would Apple even bother with IBM when intel and AMD are making about 98% of the processors in computers today. Is there some reason why Apple would avoid intel or AMD? Or does Apple just like to be different?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Intel and AMD build processers on the X86 architecture which runs Windows operating systems. OS X does not run on the X86 architecture. Apple has always been doing their chips with Motorola and IBM since they build chips that support their architecture

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlazuka
Thanks guys, but why would Apple even bother with IBM when intel and AMD are making about 98% of the processors in computers today. Is there some reason why Apple would avoid intel or AMD? Or does Apple just like to be different?
Just because a company (Microsoft, Intel, AMD...etc.), makes a product (Pentium, Windows, Athlon....etc.)that 98% of the public uses doesn't really mean anything. If that product can't do the job then it is no good.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

So very true! Huge popularity in no way necessarily means it's great :alien:
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

History Lesson

In 1984, when Apple made the first Macintosh, Apple chose the 32-bit Motorola 68000 processor, because it was (at the time) far superior to the 16-bit Intel 8086 and 80286. The Intel chips at the time were simply not powerful enough to drive a graphical OS. The 68K was proven, powerful, and easy to program, so it was a no-brainer for the new Mac.

With the introduction of the 386 and 486, Intel's processors became much more powerful, to the point where they could do everything that the equivalent Motorola 68K series chips could do. Apple didn't want to fall behind, so it entered a partnership with IBM and Motorola to develop a new chip, the PowerPC.

When it came out, in 1994, the PowerPC was clearly superior to the then-new Intel Pentium. It continued to be much faster than the Pentium and PPro for several years. (At one time, Apple was selling 300MHz Macs while the fastest PCs were at 200MHz. Not that anyone in the PC world cared, and really, I don't blame them.)

Of course, the Pentium II, PIII, and P4, and the Athlon/A64/etc. have continued to evolve, and so has the PowerPC.

Today, there are tens of thousands of Mac OS applications that run only on the PowerPC. If Apple switched to an AMD/Intel CPU, none of them would run. Every Mac software company would have to re-compile (maybe even rewrite) their applciations to be compatible with that machine. Many companies probably wouldn't bother.

Also, Apple's customers have heavy investments in PowerPC-compatible software. If Apple were to switch to an Intel/AMD CPU, none of my software would run on that machine, and I'd be quite upset. I'd have to buy new versions of everything, and I don't have that kind of money.

So, unless Apple wants to risk alienating its customers, Apple is stuck with the PowerPC. Which, really, is not such a bad thing, as the G5 is quite a good chip, with plenty of room for growth.

[My signature is a joke, but the quote is serious. Click the link.]
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Excellent! Can I quote you? Certain forums may needs this :alien:
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Excellent! Can I quote you? Certain forums may needs this :alien:
sure, feel free
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

I agree with Whiteshark, it's really an excellent lesson... :yinyang:
QUOTE Thanks
mlazuka

thanks technologist, I appreciate it

How though does IBM make profit from the sale of these processors? Im assuming that this industry is a very very costly one and it seems like they make relatively few (compared to intel and AMD) Now I understand that IBM is a huge company with billions in sales but their profit from processors must be small compared to the others mentioned above. Im curious how IBM can devote the huge amounts of money needed to R&D and stay competitive with the other manufacturers. Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Well IBM sells the G5 processor to more than just Apple for their Macs. It's used in servers and will even form the core of the upcoming XBox 2. By designing a chip that has multiple uses, IBM helps spread out the cost and helps them justify the R&D.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
mlazuka

thanks schweb,
If Mac is totally dependent on IBM chips what would happen if IBM decided to get out of the chip making business or tried gouging apple for the chips. If this is the only processor compatible with Mac wouldnt Apple be in trouble
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Technically Apple still also deals with Motorola (now Freestyle) for chips also. They make the G4's for the Powerbooks, iBooks, and eMacs. I've heard Freestyle is also working an a really nice dual core G4 chip that will probably make their way into PowerBooks before they ever see a G5 which is still some time away.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My first iBook | homepages »