Question 17" MBP Santa Rosa
    Hi all,
    I came across this deal at my university store. I have been waiting to buy an MBP for quite a while but couldn't justify the $2k+ price tag.

I have a few questions about the 17" MBP. How big and heavy is it? Can it still be carried around? I do like the large display. In addition, how does the older version (Santa Rosa) compare to the current version (Penryn)?

Is it worth it to buy the following computer brand new:
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 17” Display Model#: MA897LL/A
    2GB RAM (PC2-5300) DDR2, 160GB HD (5400RPM), DVD+R
    Dual Layer/DVD±RW/CD-RW SuperDrive 8x, iSight,
    Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, Ethernet (7960607)
    $1549
    Thanks

Specs:
    2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimate008 View Post
    Hi all,
    I came across this deal at my university store. I have been waiting to buy an MBP for quite a while but couldn't justify the $2k+ price tag.

I have a few questions about the 17" MBP. How big and heavy is it? Can it still be carried around? I do like the large display. In addition, how does the older version (Santa Rosa) compare to the current version (Penryn)?

Is it worth it to buy the following computer brand new:
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 17” Display Model#: MA897LL/A
    2GB RAM (PC2-5300) DDR2, 160GB HD (5400RPM), DVD+R
    Dual Layer/DVD±RW/CD-RW SuperDrive 8x, iSight,
    Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, Ethernet (7960607)
    $1549
    Thanks
    I thoroughly enjoy the 17-inch model since it is my only computer and thus I like the large display on my primary workstation/entertainment centre. The MacBook Pro is also the lightest and thinnest 17-inch notebook I can think of, coming in at only around 2.5cm thick and weighing less than 7 pounds. That said, a lot of people don't like a mobile computer having such a large screen since it does make it slightly more awkward to carry around than, say, the 15-inch model, which is exceedingly popular for a reason (and not just the price tag). You can also get more or less the same specs as those in the 17-inch model for the 15-inch model at a lower price. I think you really need to find a place where you can play around with one before making such a plunge. It might just turn out that you (like most) don't like the prospect something so awkward compared to the 15-inch model. As for speed differences between Santa Rosa and Penryn, it's not something I would lose sleep over- you're not going to actually notice it, and most of the changes benefit battery life more than performance if what I've been told is correct.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro Retina
    I agree... I think you should go to a nearby apple store and spend some time there to see what fits you best. As far as speed goes, I doubt you will notice the difference.

One thing that was not mentioned was your class size. I went to a very large university and the classrooms had us stuck in there like sardines. The desks were barely big enough for my macbook. I could only imagine the 17' there... It would anger the people beside me even more.

Thread Information