New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Dashboard...Am I missing something here?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ripley156

ripley156 is on a distinguished road

New Mac guy as of two weeks ago...

By default, my dashboard has weather, a clock, a calculator and something else...

To be honest, these are all things I will never use...(I added a Chuck Norris Widget, but so what, lol?)

How does everyone here use their dashboard? Any suggestions?

(Including screen shots would also be excellent if you don't mind!)
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

Nah i dont use the dashboard, it is possible to disable it compleatly with this command, you have to type it in the Terminal.

defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES
killall Dock

If you want to activate it again you just type the same line but replace YES with NO, good luck

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I have the iStat Pro widget, which monitors my CPU temps, fan speeds, etc. I think that it is a MUST have for the dashboard. I also have some stickie notes, dictionary and businesses lookups. The calculator comes in handy at times and I also use the IP widget so that I know what my external IP and router IP address is with on click of the mouse.

EDIT: You must be able to find SOMETHING of your liking here.
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

I use the following on my dashboard stocks, to do, and stickies. i used to use istat pro but recently switched to istat menus. i would highly recommend either istat program. i occasionally use flight tracker (only on when i have to fly) and delivery status when i order something.
QUOTE Thanks
ILoveMyMacbook

ILoveMyMacbook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive

I love my iStat pro, I like knowing how fast my fans are running.
I also have the weather and translation widgets, which I sometimes use / look at. I left the calculator and the clock there, but I never use them (when I need a calculator I use the regular one, from the applications folder, because I need all those functions that the simple widget calc. doesn't have).

White MacBook (see specs), switched in Dec 2007 and I've been in love ever since!
QUOTE Thanks
Hit

Hit is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4Ghz

I use it for notes very handy
QUOTE Thanks
virtuoso

virtuoso will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook. 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 5G 30GB iPod.

http://h4xr.org/kkqt

i have the h4xr widget
stickies
& the chromo widget.

QUOTE Thanks
Horness

Horness is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz MacBook (4Gb RAM) + Dual 3.2 Xeon MacPro (16Gb RAM) + iPod Touch 32Gb

iStat
Dictionary (although I use spotlight for this most of the time)
Unit Converter
Calculator (although I use spotlight for this most of the time)
Weather
Calendar
Sticky notes
OSX Tutorials
Wikipedia
WRW - WorldRadio Widget

There are loads to suit most people, check out Apple Dashboard Widgets for more.
QUOTE Thanks
jmullenberg

jmullenberg will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2, 17" Hi-Res Display ; iPhone 3G 2.1

I use the regulars ( iStat, Conversion, Business, & People Search). Also i use a netflix widget that is very handy for managing your queue, and Live Scores by streaming scores for keeping up with MLB scores, along with any other major sport league.

"Sure, I could compare PCs to Macs. But I make it a point to never argue about religion."
QUOTE Thanks
Dartholomew

Dartholomew is on a distinguished road

istat pro, stickies, calendar and calculator. Dashboard is set to mouse4 for me, so it's easy to click and use/see whatever I need. I wouldn't mind if some dashboard apps just lived on the desktop though.
QUOTE Thanks
HmmIsee

HmmIsee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.5GHz C2D, 6 Gigs Ram (Yes) 320 7200 RPM..and much more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartholomew View Post
istat pro, stickies, calendar and calculator. Dashboard is set to mouse4 for me, so it's easy to click and use/see whatever I need. I wouldn't mind if some dashboard apps just lived on the desktop though.
There actually is a command that you can type into terminal so you can have some of your widgets on your desktop, i just can't remember it lol.

Well i have istat pro, the clock, the weather, once in awhile the calculator, and i have a little lava lamp for some ZEN moods lol
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Drag the Dashboard icon to the Dock and just single click there for the widgets to pop open. Use weather, currency converter, ISP broadband usage for the month and snazzy calender, time and calculator widgets.
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley156 View Post
New Mac guy as of two weeks ago...

By default, my dashboard has weather, a clock, a calculator and something else...

To be honest, these are all things I will never use...(I added a Chuck Norris Widget, but so what, lol?)

How does everyone here use their dashboard? Any suggestions?

(Including screen shots would also be excellent if you don't mind!)
I have a couple of Stickies to remind me of passwords, usernames and stuff like that, which can come in handy personally since I am rather forgetful at times. Also, I use this to keep a tab on who borrowed DVDs and books from me.

Like everybody else, I also have iStatPro on my Dashboard. It helps me to track what my iMac is doing and how much capacity it has left. Just basic information for me to know how my iMac is doing. Very useful.

I have the Chuck Norris widget too. For kicks.

I have the Dictionary, and I find it very, very useful. Just pop in a word and I get to find it in the dictionary or the thesaurus.

I also have a nifty widget called Amazon Art. What it does is that it automatically adds album artwork into the entire album that is playing in iTunes. I find that very useful to me personally.

I have two widgets that update me about new Mac or Leopard tricks everyday, and I do find a few tips or two every once in a while that I find to be helpful.

Oh, and the translator. It's just nice to know that language isn't barrier for me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft Maps in Safari? | I have no sound when playing .avi movies through Qucktime. »