New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Is This A Good Deal?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wakeupinflames

wakeupinflames is on a distinguished road

Hey, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I'm looking to get my first Mac, and I'm on a budget and found a G4 for $300 with:
Dual 867 MDD G4
1.25 GB RAM (2 x 512 MB; 1 x 256 MB; 1 slot empty)
Two 80 GB hard drives
Two video cards:
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (supports Quartz Extreme; a bit noisier because it has a fan; currently installed)
ATI Rage 128 Pro (Does not support Quartz Extreme; no fan, so it's quieter)
4-port internal USB 2.0 PCI card
Clean install of Mac OS X 10.2.3
Is that a good deal? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
INTELligent

INTELligent can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeupinflames View Post
Hey, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I'm looking to get my first Mac, and I'm on a budget and found a G4 for $300 with:
Dual 867 MDD G4
1.25 GB RAM (2 x 512 MB; 1 x 256 MB; 1 slot empty)
Two 80 GB hard drives
Two video cards:
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (supports Quartz Extreme; a bit noisier because it has a fan; currently installed)
ATI Rage 128 Pro (Does not support Quartz Extreme; no fan, so it's quieter)
4-port internal USB 2.0 PCI card
Clean install of Mac OS X 10.2.3
Is that a good deal? Thanks.
I think you could do better... But, I look at hardware value, and I know that PC's depreciate more than that of a Mac.

Question-What will it be used for?
QUOTE Thanks
wakeupinflames

I'd use it for surfing the web, listening to music, watching movies, and I've always wanted to use Garage Band. So do you think that I should go for it or keep looking?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

It's an OK deal. It's not going to be very good for long. It's only running 10.2. 10.3 is pretty old these days. It won't handle HD content, otherwise it might be ok, just really slow.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
INTELligent

Quote:
I'd use it for surfing the web, listening to music, watching movies, and I've always wanted to use Garage Band. So do you think that I should go for it or keep looking?
If you just want something for that... Step up about $200 and get a new Mini, it will last far longer than that. I use my Mini for everything but, of course not gaming or graphics work...
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTELligent View Post
If you just want something for that... Step up about $200 and get a new Mini, it will last far longer than that. I use my Mini for everything but, of course not gaming or graphics work...
You mean $300 plus tax, right? Minis are $600 new.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
INTELligent

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883104030

My bad, my bad... I must've been thinking about a refurb model...
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Look for a 1.25DP MDD, and if possible the FW800 model. Max out the RAM over time and you will find it a lot better than the 867 because of faster system bus speed, faster spec memory etc.
QUOTE Thanks
wakeupinflames

Alright, thanks. You said that 10.2.3 is pretty old, what's the newest OS?
QUOTE Thanks
INTELligent

Quote:
Alright, thanks. You said that 10.2.3 is pretty old, what's the newest OS?
The newest OS is Leopard... 10.5.2
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

10.5.4 actually

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
INTELligent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
10.5.4 actually
Really? When did that happen?

EDIT: Jeez, I am about two weeks off... I gotta start paying attn to more Apple news...
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

It's not that bad of a deal. This is a five or six year old computer, so there will always be better out there. But it should kick butt for what you want to do with it. You can run Leopard on this system but tiger would be best.

If you bought the computer, you'd probably get two years of use out of it tops before this thing would be close to dead. Even if it's just a year, it's a year of messing around with apple and mac os x. For $300.

I'm quite sure that in a year, you could still unload this for at least $150 easy. So, I think it's worth the money. Spend the $79 on tiger when you can and you'll have a sweet machine.
QUOTE Thanks
INTELligent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsgravy View Post
It's not that bad of a deal. This is a five or six year old computer, so there will always be better out there. But it should kick butt for what you want to do with it. You can run Leopard on this system but tiger would be best.

If you bought the computer, you'd probably get two years of use out of it tops before this thing would be close to dead. Even if it's just a year, it's a year of messing around with apple and mac os x. For $300.

I'm quite sure that in a year, you could still unload this for at least $150 easy. So, I think it's worth the money. Spend the $79 on tiger when you can and you'll have a sweet machine.
Then he's $221 from a new PC that will last maybe 5yrs....
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

The mini and macbook are completely disposable products. In five years, they'll look more ridiculous than this 867mhz.

You talking about USB 3.0, SSD hard drives, LED screens, lower power consumption processors, DDR 3 RAM, Dedicated graphics, Blu-Ray, etc etc.

There's no way a mini bought now, will look as good as this old mac does six years later. My first gen macbook is two years old and I can't even run 64bit applications or install more than 2GB of RAM. Look how much apple has changed in two years.

The mini is a good computer, but it is every bit as disposable as the 867mhz, and for $221 more.

But hey, new, used, it doesn't matter. With Apple you have three choices. Go pro, go back to the store every three years, or stay behind technology.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X, can we ever be hacked? | No Maximize.. I love it! »