New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do i burn toast?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

minus182

minus182 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerboook G4 17" 1.67GHz 512MB ram, iPod 60GB, iPod shuffle

Alright, here's the thing.
i have a copy of a toast file. which is 3 gigs in size. and i have an ibook which is only a combo drive. and i'm unable to burn DVDs.
and my friend's pc has a dvd burner. is it possible to burn a toast file on windows?
and if it is possible, what programs are there?
thank you very much!

cheers~

System Specs
12" iBook G4
800MHz PowerPC G4
384MB DDR SDRAM
Mac OS X 10.3.9

Getting a New Mac soon.
iClarence.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

toast file? is it an iso or disk image? or a file you saved in toast? if its an iso or disk image of some kind, you can copy it to the pc and burn it in nero or easy cd creator, if its a .toast file you saved, I dont think a pc can burn it, I recommend if its a toast file you saved, get an external dvd burner, or borrow one.
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

If you are just looking to get the file on a DVD because of its size, then you could just zip it and then tranfer the zip file to the PC and burn it to the DVD in its zip form.

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberry88
If you are just looking to get the file on a DVD because of its size, then you could just zip it and then tranfer the zip file to the PC and burn it to the DVD in its zip form.
As a toast file is an image file, that wouldn't make much sense. Anyway, ever tried to zip a 3GB file?!? That'll take forever...

What you can try, minus182, is open the toast file with Toast on your Mac, and save it as iso file. I don't know if it works, I never tried, but I don't really see why it shouldn't.
Then transfer the iso to the PC (via LAN for example) and there you can burn it with Nero or Easy CD creator, as Macman said.
I never used Easy CD creator, but as it come from the same company than Toast (called Roxio), it might be possible that it can burn toast files...but I can't tell you for sure.
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

You think transferring a 3GB file from a Mac to PC is going to be faster than zipping a 3GB file?? I'm not about to do it just to prove a point but I think it would be faster zipping it and burning it.

But hey, that's my opinion and since its not my problem, its not going to cause me to lose sleep. LOL

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
minus182

Heh, thanks guys.
I think i'll go and experiment and com back here my little adventure.

Once again, thank you!

System Specs
12" iBook G4
800MHz PowerPC G4
384MB DDR SDRAM
Mac OS X 10.3.9

Getting a New Mac soon.
iClarence.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberry88
You think transferring a 3GB file from a Mac to PC is going to be faster than zipping a 3GB file?? I'm not about to do it just to prove a point but I think it would be faster zipping it and burning it.

But hey, that's my opinion and since its not my problem, its not going to cause me to lose sleep. LOL
Well even if you zip a 3GB file, it will still be pretty big, and you'll STILL have to transfer it between the mac and the pc. So it will still take quite a while AND you would have had to wait for it to be zipped...

For the record though, I can't see a way to save a .toast file as an .iso file??

You have the option of saving it as a .dmg file, but that's obviously not what he wants to do..

Maybe you can burn the file across multiple CD's...not perfect either though...
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

Could you network the two and just transfer over the network?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

He could, but the point is that the file is a .toast file, which can't be opened by Nero or any other windows burning app.(presumably at least)...
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

nope, .toast file cant be opened on a pc, but if he has the original files used to create the .toast file, he can open toast and use the original file to create an iso.
QUOTE Thanks
minus182

Seems like i only can borrow an external dvd drive and burn the toast.
Thank you anyways!
cheers~

System Specs
12" iBook G4
800MHz PowerPC G4
384MB DDR SDRAM
Mac OS X 10.3.9

Getting a New Mac soon.
iClarence.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks
zeppster

Repeatedly push down the toast on setting "10" until it becomes very black and crunchy.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Haha, brilliant answer...
QUOTE Thanks
minus182

Heh, now i get it.
but i forgot to disable my smoke alarm. woke up the darn neighbourhood.

System Specs
12" iBook G4
800MHz PowerPC G4
384MB DDR SDRAM
Mac OS X 10.3.9

Getting a New Mac soon.
iClarence.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

Lmao I'm glad that other dude with the 'repeated 10 setting' reply isn't the only one to realize the funniness of the thread title, and how big of dorks we are for knowing what he ACTUALLY means rather than what 'How do I burn toast?' sounds like.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The switch is official | Give advice to this poor n00b :D »