New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

dual core powerbook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mlazuka

Ive been reading here that Apple might be releasing a dual core processor for the powerbooks in January. Has Apple made any official announcements regarding this? Would it be a good idea for me to wait? Do Mac's have new model problems similar to many first year production cars? Also I'm curious about the possible specs of the dual core, if its two processors on the same chip would it be something like two 1 ghz processors together? If so then what is all the fuss about trying to get a g5 into a powerbook, wouldnt a dual core 1 ghz be equal to a single 2 ghz? Why arent the dual core chips already out, are they having difficulty with the engineering? Im not an engineer so sorry if these questions sound silly. Thanks for the help
QUOTE Thanks
minus182

minus182 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerboook G4 17" 1.67GHz 512MB ram, iPod 60GB, iPod shuffle

no but i'm hoping steve announces it in his keynote.

System Specs
12" iBook G4
800MHz PowerPC G4
384MB DDR SDRAM
Mac OS X 10.3.9

Getting a New Mac soon.
iClarence.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks
bobx2001

i already got a 1.5 ghz powerbook. and a dualcore 1ghz is no way near the speed of 2 ghz singel, even a dual core 2.5 ghx powermac is not the speed of a 5 ghz singel processor.

a dual g4 is much more likely than a singel g5, but both would cause more heat (try touching my powerbook after a nigth of photoshop work, it is VERY hot)

we will just have to wait and see.

and buy the way. sing this petition http://www.petitiononline.com/rct3fm/petition.html
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

A dual core CPU running at 1GHz, or even a dual CPU, is not as fast as a single running at 2GHz. Nevertheless, the fact that tasks can be divided to each core (or each CPU), it would be quite fast, as long as the OS and the applications take use of that feature.
And also the G4 and the G5 cores are very different starting with the G5 being a 64bit CPU, and the G4 being a 32bit CPU. There are more significant differences, but explaining them would be too complicated anyway.

Honestly, because af the heat an energy issue, and because of availibility issues at IBM, I don't see a G5 PowerBook coming anytime soon.
At least not in the same slimline design the PowerBook has nowadays.

A dual core G4 from Freescale would make more sense, because even with 2 cores it gets less hot than the G5, and power consumption is by far lower too. And the fact that it's pnlayout is compatible to the existing G4 would make its integration very easy for Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
mlazuka

thanks, I was wondering if I should go ahead and order the powerbook now or wait until the dual cores come out if they do, my only concerns are how long it will be until then and reliability of the first few models that come out. Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlazuka
thanks, I was wondering if I should go ahead and order the powerbook now or wait until the dual cores come out if they do, my only concerns are how long it will be until then and reliability of the first few models that come out. Thanks again
Dude, if you want the laptop now, get it now. By the time you're done enjoying it they'll have a proper cooling system for the G5 anyway. Besides, if we're always worried about having the newest and fastest processor we'll all go CRAZY because unless you kill off everyone at Intel, AMD and IBM, you're never going to be able to keep up. The PowerMacs that are out now are GREAT computers. And even if there's a better computer in a few months they'll still be great computers.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« homepages | n00b iTunes question »