New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

IBM External USB Keyboard - No Windows Key - Looking For Shortcut

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

goddess_of_go

goddess_of_go is on a distinguished road

I know this is going to sound strange, but I really love my IBM External USB Keyboard. I am using it right now. I discovered that I could plug it in and use it without any difficulty at all. I am a fan of the track point and I really like being able to sit back in my chair with the keyboard in my lap and "mouse" with the trackpoint without moving my fingers from the keyboard to grab a mouse.

Now for the problem...

I want to figure out what to use to replace the Command key for Apple keyboard shortcuts. I think I read somewhere that the Windows key replaces the Command key on PC keyboards. I am not even sure that this is true, but even if it is, it leaves me at a loss because IBM keyboards lack a Windows key. I am sure there is a shortcut to replicate the Windows key, which would in turn be a shortcut to replicate the Command key if the Windows key does in fact replace the Command key on PC keyboards.

So does anyone know a keyboard shortcut for the IBM keyboard to replicate the Windows key? I am tired of reaching up to the Edit menu because I don't have a Command key, and I am not ready to give up on the IBM keyboard. I just like it too much hooked up to my Mac as a second keyboard. Reaching for the other keyboard every time I need a Command key just defeats the whole purpose of having the other keyboard on my lap and takes more time than mousing the menus.

Thanks in advance.

Terri
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

maybe you could try some key reassignment (either within preferences or there are software you can download) there is also software that allows you to assign 'gestures' or keyboard macros.

Hope that helps

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

ctrl-esc maps to the windows key in windows. Maybe try that? does not work on my mac keyboard though.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I too like IBM keyboards.

I believe (from memory) that the Left CTRL key acts as a Windows key for most Windows key + functions. Give that a try and let us know.

BTW, I'm using an Apple aluminum keyboard and love it. Have you tried one?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
goddess_of_go

I do have an aluminum keyboard and I do love it but it doesn't have the track point so that means that I can't sit with it on my lap without having to reach for a mouse too. That's the problem, and it is too wide to actually balance well on my lap.

Terri
QUOTE Thanks
goddess_of_go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
ctrl-esc maps to the windows key in windows. Maybe try that? does not work on my mac keyboard though.
Ctrl-esc just gets me the sound that means something isn't working (a fairly high pitched thud sound). I am not sure what you call that sound. At least I got that sound when I tried it in Text Edit. While I am in this window I don't get a sound, but I don't get any results when I pair the keyboard combination with C to copy or with P to paste.

Terri
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My speakers are picking up radio stations! | New to Mac. Need help with printer »