New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

External Hard Drive - Input/Output Error - ??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MBPDave

MBPDave is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone, i just bought a macbook pro, last apple i owned was a performa back in the day

anyway, i have an external hard drive that i have been using with a windows based pc, i plugged it into my mac and tried to put files in the hd, but it wouldn't work so i attempted to format it using disc utility and it went all the way and then it failed

now my hard drive wont open on my pc, and when i plug it in and turn it on, it shows a, initialize, erase, or ignore screen and when i try to do anything with it, it states, a input/output error and i can't do anything with it

will someone please help me out here and tell me how i can format this drive accordingly and will be able to place any files that i would like to in it

Much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

This exact thing happened to me too, except it was with brand new drives. I went through 3 drives with my MBP with the same exact message. I brought it to the Apple store and showed them what was going on, and they said that my Mac's firewire port fried the external's port, and it killed the drive altogether, i went through 3 drives with it doing the same thing. They said MBPs have a reputation for overloading both firewire and USB ports of other external drives. Can your PC recognize it at all?

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
MBPDave

MBPDave is on a distinguished road

My PC didn't recognize it at all, so i found the box of the hard drive (i dunno why i still had it) and there was a firewire cable provided so i tried the FW cable with the MBP and sure enough i was able to format it without any problems

Then i opened it up with my PC as well - after i formatted it i plugged the USB cable back in and it worked as well - it was the cable after all that time, i dunno why, but the USB cable didn't work, yet the FW cable did, now the USB cable does work... i don't get it, but at least it works
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« EchoMac | Macbook Pro-Any advice on whether I should buy? »