New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Upgrading MacBook Hard Drive questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ApplePi

ApplePi is on a distinguished road

Is this possible?

I'd like to buy an external Western Digital My Passport hard drive like this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136227

and take the drive that is inside the enclosure and swap it with the drive that is currently in my macbook. Then I was thinking of doing a clean install of Leopard on the new drive once it's in my macbook.

Will I have any issues with this?

My other thought is that if I don't buy Leopard right away, is there a way to copy my install of Tiger 10.4 from my 80gig drive to this new 320 gig drive?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

the transfer is easily possible

but what mac did you want to put that drive in
QUOTE Thanks
ApplePi

ApplePi is on a distinguished road

I have a 2.0GHz core2duo macbook with the 950 graphics chipset. 1Gb of ram.
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

it will work. you can use superduper to make a clone of your currnet hard drive.

I did a similar upgrade recently. you will need a torx bit to remove your to remove the hd from your mb.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

ApplePi,

It probably will work, but the Passport external hard drive is in a sealed plastic enclosure. I have a 160GB Passport I use with SuperDuper as my external. Looks to me like you would have to destroy the enclosure to get the drive out of it... Not sure that would cause any problems with the drive itself, but I wouldn't think so. Just so you know about that aspect of it...

You could buy a bare 2.5" SATA hard drive. I bought this $130 320GB WD Scorpio and exchanged it with my original Mac HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136197

But if you did it that way, you'd have to buy an enclosure for the original Mac drive. But the same if you had to destroy the Passport case, you probably would need to buy an enclosure for that anyhow... Newegg has many Bytecc enclosures for 2.5" SATA drives - some are USB powered like the Passport.

BTW, I bought my Torx at Sears for like $3-4...

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
vidarski

vidarski is on a distinguished road

I tried a similar thing yesterday. I have a macbook pro 17'' Unibody from April 2009, but in theory I think you will have the same issue. You're probably way past this problem already but for other users who consider upgrading:

1. Compatibility
The new 1TB drive from WD does fit physically, but the connectors are not the same. I have been looking for connectors on the web after this disappointment and I'm still looking.

I would definitely buy a regular internal hard-drive not an external - I was just thrilled at seeing this at BestBuy yesterday, as it has been out of stock on Amazon etc.

2. Will the passport enclosure break? No
The enclosure for the 1TB WD is possible to open without destroying anything. It's easier than it seems: use a sharp knife (be careful to side-wise bend open the front panel. There are no screws and no glue. You MAY break it, but if you're careful it's no problem at all!

Hope this helps, and maybe someone can help me with the connectors........?
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

Cheaper way is what I did and bought the western digital green drive , 7500 rpm 320 gb for $79 at bestbuy. Works great and so much better then the stock 5400 rpm drive.

Any 2.5" sata drive should work. May just have to reformat it but that's it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Locking folders | How do I open .exe and .pcx files? »