New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

OS X Boot Nightmare....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Studio_Woody

I have a dual boot G4 which I usually run in OS 9. I have booted it
up in OS X before without a problem.

Today I set it to boot in OS X and upon restarting all I could get was the grey apple logo sitting there....
....and nothing else, ever!

After several hours of trawling the net i've cleared the P-RAM and got it to option-boot into the screen where you can pick the OS.

Now the problem is that only OS X will show up. And when I select that, I get a gray apple for a few seconds, then a gray symbol that looks like a No Smoking sign but without the ***.

I need it to boot into OS 9 but it won't!!! AARRRGG

Just to top it all off I can't find any CD's with either OS on them, so I can't even boot up that way!

Does anyone have any ideas what could of caused this type of boot
error, and more importantly how can I resolve it?!!?

Thanx.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Don't know if this will work you, but it works for me on my beige G3. Reboot the system and hold down the option key until the system starts to boot.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Studio_Woody

Thanx man for your swift response, but as I said I've already gone down that road....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio_Woody
i've cleared the P-RAM and got it to option-boot into the screen where you can pick the OS.
...It won't work, it'll only let me choose OS X from that screen (OS X refuses to boot) and I need to be in OS 9 anyway.

Anyone else got any ideas? I need to use this machine 9am for work! :eek:
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

As soon as the computer boots hold down Apple + S

If you get to single user mode where you see a bunch of unix mumbo jumbo then when it is done type this and hit enter

/sbin/fsck -f

when that is done run it again if it fixed anything and if it says nothign was changed type exit and hit enter

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

What trpnmonkey suggests should do it.
Nevertheless, for future issues:
If you want to be able to choose between OS X and OS9 by starting with the option-key pressed, you need to move OS9 to an other partition or Harddisk, if you have a second one.

The default installation has OS X and OS9 on the same partition, this doesn't work with option-key booting.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MAC OS X boot problems | Duh, how do I get e-mail? »