New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

A couple more questions.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

catlikethief

I seem to have developed a liking for you helpful people.

I bought an iSight today, and I got it working with iChat and all, but I was wondering.. what's the deal with this Rendezvous feature? And how do I video conference with other users? Is it alright if they have a different kind of webcam, or if they have Windows or something? Oh.. and is it possible to take still pictures with the iSight? Will it be compatible with any other chat clients, or just iChat? It's quite confusing for me, as you can see.

I was also wondering how to remove items from the dock.. I've tried dragging them off, but they um, bounce back in there. hah.. If I quit them, they go away.. but once I restart my machine, they come back. Is there a way to permanently keep them off the dock?

Can you set up your e-mail account with the Mail feature, without it being a .Mac account?

When you save an image/file to disk, why does it go straight to my desktop? Is there a way to change the path.. to go into a 'downloads' folder?

My dad's trying to connect our printer to the eMac, but he's having trouble. Is it possible that the printer must only be connected to the eMac, and the eMac, only? Because our printer(s) are networked with our other computers in the house.. what do you think?

What program do you recommend for webdesigning? I was looking for something equivalent to Microsoft Frontpage. With that, is there a page where alot of Mac fonts can be downloaded?

And.. to navigate your Mac.. do you start with Finder? I was kind of confused with this at first, I was so used to the Start button with Windows, that I didn't know where to start with my Mac.

I think those are all the questions for now, be prepared for more as I play around more, hah.
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Can you set up your e-mail account with the Mail feature, without it being a .Mac account?

Yep.

When you save an image/file to disk, why does it go straight to my desktop? Is there a way to change the path.. to go into a 'downloads' folder?

Yep, both are the same answer. Click on the app name in the top left and select the Preferences. i.e on Safari it goes Safari->Preferences->General and the fill in the "Save downloaded files to" box. For Mail it's Mail->Preferences->Accounts etc.

My dad's trying to connect our printer to the eMac, but he's having trouble. Is it possible that the printer must only be connected to the eMac, and the eMac, only? Because our printer(s) are networked with our other computers in the house.. what do you think?

You shouldn't have any problems sharing the printer as long as you have the network set up correctly, if it is a USB printer you should be able to just plug it into the eMac.

And.. to navigate your Mac.. do you start with Finder? I was kind of confused with this at first, I was so used to the Start button with Windows, that I didn't know where to start with my Mac.

Finder is the usual method, play around with the different views and you should find one you like.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang

I was also wondering how to remove items from the dock.. I've tried dragging them off, but they um, bounce back in there. hah.. If I quit them, they go away.. but once I restart my machine, they come back. Is there a way to permanently keep them off the dock?

you should be able to close the program and then drag it off the dock. If it bounces back in there, the program is still running. They shouldnt return when you restart if you restart the machine properly.

There is a setting i believe thats in safari that lets you change stuff like this. It is kinda strange but safari is the only place where i have seen setting the default web browser and default downloads folder.
QUOTE Thanks
JazzTrpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlikethief
I bought an iSight today, and I got it working with iChat and all, but I was wondering.. what's the deal with this Rendezvous feature? And how do I video conference with other users? Is it alright if they have a different kind of webcam, or if they have Windows or something? Oh.. and is it possible to take still pictures with the iSight? Will it be compatible with any other chat clients, or just iChat? It's quite confusing for me, as you can see.
Rendezvous allows you to chat with people on your network who have Rendezvous. They will show up in that buddy list. As far as I know, you can only use iChat AV with other iChat AV users for video and audio conferencing. However, you can text chat with anyone who uses AIM. If they use iChat AV and have a different webcam, then you can still video conference with them...it doesn't have to be an iSight.

Quote:
Yeah, you have to quit the application first, then drag it off. The only reason it will show up in the dock again is if you open it. All open apps show up in your dock.

Quote:
Yep...just enter your incoming and outgoing servers provided by whatever email company you use.

Quote:
I believe the Safari question has been addressed, but you can also choose where you want the file to go in a normal Save dialog box.
QUOTE Thanks
catlikethief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amen-Moses

Yep.

Yep, both are the same answer. Click on the app name in the top left and select the Preferences. i.e on Safari it goes Safari->Preferences->General and the fill in the "Save downloaded files to" box. For Mail it's Mail->Preferences->Accounts etc.

You shouldn't have any problems sharing the printer as long as you have the network set up correctly, if it is a USB printer you should be able to just plug it into the eMac.

Finder is the usual method, play around with the different views and you should find one you like.

Amen-Moses
Hey... thanks, man. I'm still working on the mail account, but I'll come back here if I have any more questions. Thanks again.. =)
QUOTE Thanks
catlikethief

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiethang

you should be able to close the program and then drag it off the dock. If it bounces back in there, the program is still running. They shouldnt return when you restart if you restart the machine properly.

There is a setting i believe thats in safari that lets you change stuff like this. It is kinda strange but safari is the only place where i have seen setting the default web browser and default downloads folder.
Thanksss, I found it =)
QUOTE Thanks
catlikethief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzTrpt
Rendezvous allows you to chat with people on your network who have Rendezvous. They will show up in that buddy list. As far as I know, you can only use iChat AV with other iChat AV users for video and audio conferencing. However, you can text chat with anyone who uses AIM. If they use iChat AV and have a different webcam, then you can still video conference with them...it doesn't have to be an iSight.

Yeah, you have to quit the application first, then drag it off. The only reason it will show up in the dock again is if you open it. All open apps show up in your dock.

Yep...just enter your incoming and outgoing servers provided by whatever email company you use.

I believe the Safari question has been addressed, but you can also choose where you want the file to go in a normal Save dialog box.
Hm.. interesting. So that means I can't video conference with someone unless they are using iChat AV?
QUOTE Thanks
JazzTrpt

Quote:
Hm.. interesting. So that means I can't video conference with someone unless they are using iChat AV?
Yeah...at least not yet. I think it has something to do with the standards that Apple used which other IM services haven't adopted yet. I'm not too sure though.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Well, i think iSight will work as a regualar web cam though right?
QUOTE Thanks
JazzTrpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
Yeah, I think so.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
Yes, it will work with any software that recognizes Firewire webcams. I use mine with EvoCam and Yahoo! for example.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« switching advice | ibook or powerbook »