New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Trouble adding printer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jam2000

jam2000 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air OS X 10.7 1.7 Intel Core i5 4GB, MacMini mid-2011

I've tried several times to add a printer to my MB Pro, a Lexmark E250dn. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

I downloaded the driver from Lexmark and installed. I go to System Preferences, printers, add printer. My Lexmark doesn't show up.

Anyone that can help?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam2000 View Post
I go to System Preferences, printers, add printer. My Lexmark doesn't show up.
Try Printer Setup Utility.
QUOTE Thanks
jam2000

Is that a mac Printer Setup Utility? I can't seem to find that.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

System Preferences -> Print & Fax. Click on your Printer, select + at the bottom of the Printers dialog box. Select "Open Print Queue" and "Options & Supplies.

If your Lexmark does not show up under the Printers dialog, you can try adding a generic printer and select a driver. A good general driver that will work for most Laser printers and Inkjets is the "Gutenprint v5.1.3" driver already included with OS X.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
jam2000

When I try to add the printer, there is a drop down for the drivers and Gutenprint is not one of them.

The printer doesn't show up yet under Print & Fax because I can't seem to add the printer in the first place.

Maybe I am doing this wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
Screna1

Screna1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4, OS X 10.4.11 1.42 GHZ PowerPC G4, 1GB DDR SDRAM

I'm having about the same problem with my Lexmark X5495. I finally got it to show up in my Printers by adding it with an IP address, but when I try to print to it I get the message "Problem communicating with the printer".

Any suggestions?

I don't see Gutenprint either. Where do I find it?

Thanks, Carol
IBook G4. Mac OS 10.4
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

If you can't find a suitable driver in Print & Fax, didn't you get an install disk with your printer? It should have your printer drivers on it for both Windows and Mac.

The Lexmark E250dn does have drivers. Look under Print & Fax/Utilities & Supplies, open the Driver tab, click on the scroll bar and "select a driver" and scroll down to Lexmark E250dn. Select it and install. Does your printer show up now?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam2000 View Post
Is that a mac Printer Setup Utility? I can't seem to find that.
The Utilities folder is located (natively) within the Applications folder. Within Utilities you should find PSU. If it isn't there, and if Spotlight cannot find it, then it probably hasn't been installed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No Maximize.. I love it! | How easy is it to switch from Windows to Mac? »