New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Um, a couple questions. Ok, alot.


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
catlikethief
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Hey what's going on, I'm a newbie. I just switched last night.. my dad bought an eMac to spruce up his resume. And he wants me to learn it as well, cause he likes it better than Windows..

From what I've played around with, it's pretty freakin awesome. With Windows, I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro for all my webdesign graphics. \ Some people told me that Adobe Photoshop is compatible with Mac, along with Windows. Eh?
The resolution on my Mac is humongous.. haha. That means I have to start designing for bigger resolutions. *shrugs* I'll get used to it.

Do I have to buy a Mac version of all my programs? Do you know where I could find a list of Mac softwares available? And what software do you recommend for burning CDs on Macs?

And when I'm viewing sites that I used to view on Windows, the fonts are all the same. They're not defined by the webmaster's html/css, they're all one font.. and one size. I was wondering if there was a way to let the defined font of the site be viewable, instead of, I guess, these default settings?

And for AIM.. with Windows, a right-click is all it takes to find a drop-down menu for the selected user. I'm one of those people who are too lazy to drag my mouse a couple inches lower to the panel with all the "IM - CHAT - WRITE - INFO -SETUP" stuff. Is there a shortcut like that for Mac?

Are there any file-sharing programs for Mac? I am a bit cheap to pay a dollar for one song. But don't worry, I don't download alot. Once I hear a couple songs from an artist, I delete my mp3s then go out and buy the album. But I find the iTunes Music Store to be such a convenience.. Is there a way to download an entire album in the iTunes Music Store?

Oh yes, what is the difference between an iMac and an eMac? Just curious. And I was thinking, if I liked this eMac, to buy an iBook or a PowerBook. Would that be a drastic change from an eMac?

How long did it take for past-switchers to get used to their Macs?

What I DO love about my eMac is that it's horrifyingly fast. And all the edges and lines are smooth. It's nice to look at.. the desktop slideshow is awesome.

I know, I have alot of questions.. forgive me and my undeveloped fifteen year old mind. Any help would be appreciated. =)
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

 
Member Since: Jul 22, 2003
Location: Hamilton College
Posts: 7,003
trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

trpnmonkey41 is offline
alright i will try and answer as many questions as i can but i too am a newbie.

For most of your programs you will need to buy a Mac Version unless you can see on the system requirements of the cd case, cd, box etc that it is both windows and mac compatible. apple.com has most of the big name software available listed there but versiontracker.com is another good site that people frequently recommend.

I have no clue about the font issue

You can use your old windows mouse with a right click and that will work right away or if you hold ctrl and click that is the same as a right click.

there are file sharing programs available. no kazaa or morpheus but i think limewire is one of the ones but im not positive of what they are because i have never really used them.

in iTunes you can buy full albums for almost all albums and its usually cheaper then the 99 per song but it varies by the length of the cd usually. iMac is the swivel LCD with a dome shaped base while the eMac is more like the original iMacs with the all in one.

it took me about a week of serious use to make the switch easier.
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlikethief
Hey what's going on, I'm a newbie. I just switched last night.. my dad bought an eMac to spruce up his resume. And he wants me to learn it as well, cause he likes it better than Windows..

From what I've played around with, it's pretty freakin awesome. With Windows, I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro for all my webdesign graphics. \ Some people told me that Adobe Photoshop is compatible with Mac, along with Windows. Eh?
The resolution on my Mac is humongous.. haha. That means I have to start designing for bigger resolutions. *shrugs* I'll get used to it.

Do I have to buy a Mac version of all my programs? Do you know where I could find a list of Mac softwares available? And what software do you recommend for burning CDs on Macs?

And when I'm viewing sites that I used to view on Windows, the fonts are all the same. They're not defined by the webmaster's html/css, they're all one font.. and one size. I was wondering if there was a way to let the defined font of the site be viewable, instead of, I guess, these default settings?

And for AIM.. with Windows, a right-click is all it takes to find a drop-down menu for the selected user. I'm one of those people who are too lazy to drag my mouse a couple inches lower to the panel with all the "IM - CHAT - WRITE - INFO -SETUP" stuff. Is there a shortcut like that for Mac?

Are there any file-sharing programs for Mac? I am a bit cheap to pay a dollar for one song. But don't worry, I don't download alot. Once I hear a couple songs from an artist, I delete my mp3s then go out and buy the album. But I find the iTunes Music Store to be such a convenience.. Is there a way to download an entire album in the iTunes Music Store?

Oh yes, what is the difference between an iMac and an eMac? Just curious. And I was thinking, if I liked this eMac, to buy an iBook or a PowerBook. Would that be a drastic change from an eMac?

How long did it take for past-switchers to get used to their Macs?

What I DO love about my eMac is that it's horrifyingly fast. And all the edges and lines are smooth. It's nice to look at.. the desktop slideshow is awesome.

I know, I have alot of questions.. forgive me and my undeveloped fifteen year old mind. Any help would be appreciated. =)
Ok, you are right there are a lot of questions, i will try to address them all..

1. You have to buy new programs for your mac. Photoshop has a mac version, but the windows version will not work on your mac. The most widespread cd burner that i know of is roxio toast titanium, which is what i used. Apple has a list of software on their website in the store. Versiontracker.com and macupdate.com are two good sources for shareware and freeware.

2. No idea what you are talking about, it works fine on safari for me.

3. CTRL-Click brings up a right click menu. AIM is a good client, but there are a lot of other programs out there that are just as good. iChat is great, adium is also a pretty good program.

4. There are file sharing programs, a place like versiontracker.com or macupdate.com would have them. File sharing is evil, but i can understand downloading a couple of songs and then going out to buy the cds later. As for iTunes Music Store, you can buy entire albums easily, and most of them are $9.99 which is considerably lower than buying the songs separately, especially for CDs with 28 songs.

5. The difference between the eMac and iMac is the design. The greatest difference is the monitor types. The eMac uses an older style CRT monitor, and the iMac uses a newer lcd style monitor. The change wouldnt be too large, as the OS X operating system doesnt really change between machine models.

6. It took me about 6 hours to get fully comfortable with OS X, and a couple of days to get everything migrated over from my PC to my powerbook.

I think i hit everything, anything else, just feel free to post a reply to this.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

 
Member Since: Jul 22, 2003
Location: Hamilton College
Posts: 7,003
trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

trpnmonkey41 is offline
as you can see people are relatively fast with there responses here
QUOTE Thanks
catlikethief
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
alright i will try and answer as many questions as i can but i too am a newbie.

For most of your programs you will need to buy a Mac Version unless you can see on the system requirements of the cd case, cd, box etc that it is both windows and mac compatible. apple.com has most of the big name software available listed there but versiontracker.com is another good site that people frequently recommend.

I have no clue about the font issue

You can use your old windows mouse with a right click and that will work right away or if you hold ctrl and click that is the same as a right click.

there are file sharing programs available. no kazaa or morpheus but i think limewire is one of the ones but im not positive of what they are because i have never really used them.

in iTunes you can buy full albums for almost all albums and its usually cheaper then the 99 per song but it varies by the length of the cd usually. iMac is the swivel LCD with a dome shaped base while the eMac is more like the original iMacs with the all in one.

it took me about a week of serious use to make the switch easier.

Wow.. thanks dude. That helped me alot, heh. I'm going to use my Windows mouse, I'm used to it. And I explored applemusic.com and I think iTunes is actually way better than the file sharing programs..

Thanks again for your help! =D
QUOTE Thanks
catlikethief
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiethang
Ok, you are right there are a lot of questions, i will try to address them all..

1. You have to buy new programs for your mac. Photoshop has a mac version, but the windows version will not work on your mac. The most widespread cd burner that i know of is roxio toast titanium, which is what i used. Apple has a list of software on their website in the store. Versiontracker.com and macupdate.com are two good sources for shareware and freeware.

2. No idea what you are talking about, it works fine on safari for me.

3. CTRL-Click brings up a right click menu. AIM is a good client, but there are a lot of other programs out there that are just as good. iChat is great, adium is also a pretty good program.

4. There are file sharing programs, a place like versiontracker.com or macupdate.com would have them. File sharing is evil, but i can understand downloading a couple of songs and then going out to buy the cds later. As for iTunes Music Store, you can buy entire albums easily, and most of them are $9.99 which is considerably lower than buying the songs separately, especially for CDs with 28 songs.

5. The difference between the eMac and iMac is the design. The greatest difference is the monitor types. The eMac uses an older style CRT monitor, and the iMac uses a newer lcd style monitor. The change wouldnt be too large, as the OS X operating system doesnt really change between machine models.

6. It took me about 6 hours to get fully comfortable with OS X, and a couple of days to get everything migrated over from my PC to my powerbook.

I think i hit everything, anything else, just feel free to post a reply to this.
Hm.. I think I should try Safari, or Opera. I've heard stuff about it, and since the font thing works fine with Safari, um.. yeah. Rambling. Does Adium require registration? Or can you use your AIM screename? I find the Music Store fascinating all of a sudden. Thanks for all your help, it .. really.. yeah, helped. That's what help does. hah. =)
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

 
Murlyn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 11, 2003
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 4,909
Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Murlyn is offline
Use Proteus.. it's the best multi network chat program that I know of for the mac at this point..
QUOTE Thanks
JazzTrpt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Hey! Congrats on your getting your first Mac! You will love it even more than you do now the more you use it. I can only answer a few of your questions, but I hope that you find it helpful!

Here is a link for about 17,000 software products you can use with your eMac: http://guide.apple.com/ussoftware.lasso

Next, you can use iTunes to burn music cds. It's really easy....just insert a cd-r or cd-rw, then select the playlist you want to put on your cd. Then click the burn button in the upper right hand corner of the iTunes window. Click it again to verify that you want to burn it. That's it! If you want to burn a data cd, you can use the Finder, which is the application in your dock with the smiley mac face. The Finder is where you open windows to search your hard drive and such. You insert the cd, drag whatever files you want to put on it, then go to the File menu and click "Burn Disc..." If you want another alternative, you can pick up Roxio's Toast. It's a great program, too.

As far as right-clicking, you can buy a two button mouse which is compatible with OS X and that will do the same thing.... OR, you can just hold down the control key while clicking with the one button mouse and that will do the same thing.

File-sharing programs....Acquisition

In the iTunes Music Store, you can download an entire album by clicking on the "Buy Album" button near the price of the album. Some albums will say "By Song Only", so obviously, you can't buy the entire album there.

iMacs have an adjustable 15" or 17" LCD display. The eMac has a 17" CRT display. There are a few configuration differences between the two, but I don't think they are that much different. You can check out specific specs at www.apple.com. Personally, I think the eMac is a MUCH better value.

If you bought an iBook or a PowerBook, the only change from the eMac would be that the 'Books are portable. The OS is exactly the same and setup is equally simple. Again, there are config differences, but that's true with any computer. As far as you having to learn anything more about having a laptop, there is no change.

Well, that's about all I can answer for you. Good luck, and have fun with your new computer! Just ask if you need more help with anything.
QUOTE Thanks
JazzTrpt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlikethief
Hm.. I think I should try Safari, or Opera. I've heard stuff about it, and since the font thing works fine with Safari, um.. yeah. Rambling. Does Adium require registration? Or can you use your AIM screename? I find the Music Store fascinating all of a sudden. Thanks for all your help, it .. really.. yeah, helped. That's what help does. hah. =)
In my experience, Safari has been great. I hear Opera is pretty good too...you might want to check out Mozilla/Chimera too (I'm not sure which name they use now for it). Adium requires no registration...you can use your AIM name. I think you can also use your MSN name if you have one.
QUOTE Thanks
hokiethang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzTrpt
In my experience, Safari has been great. I hear Opera is pretty good too...you might want to check out Mozilla/Chimera too (I'm not sure which name they use now for it). Adium requires no registration...you can use your AIM name. I think you can also use your MSN name if you have one.
steer clear of mozilla, use camino, which is what chimera used to be. They basically re-compiled the pc version of mozilla. camino was a branch of mozilla. Stay well away from netscape and IE. Adium is a nice program, and thats what i prefer. Opera needs some work on the OS X platform. Safari and camino are the two browsers that I use on a daily basis.
QUOTE Thanks
catlikethief
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzTrpt
Hey! Congrats on your getting your first Mac! You will love it even more than you do now the more you use it. I can only answer a few of your questions, but I hope that you find it helpful!

Here is a link for about 17,000 software products you can use with your eMac: http://guide.apple.com/ussoftware.lasso

Next, you can use iTunes to burn music cds. It's really easy....just insert a cd-r or cd-rw, then select the playlist you want to put on your cd. Then click the burn button in the upper right hand corner of the iTunes window. Click it again to verify that you want to burn it. That's it! If you want to burn a data cd, you can use the Finder, which is the application in your dock with the smiley mac face. The Finder is where you open windows to search your hard drive and such. You insert the cd, drag whatever files you want to put on it, then go to the File menu and click "Burn Disc..." If you want another alternative, you can pick up Roxio's Toast. It's a great program, too.

As far as right-clicking, you can buy a two button mouse which is compatible with OS X and that will do the same thing.... OR, you can just hold down the control key while clicking with the one button mouse and that will do the same thing.

File-sharing programs....Acquisition

In the iTunes Music Store, you can download an entire album by clicking on the "Buy Album" button near the price of the album. Some albums will say "By Song Only", so obviously, you can't buy the entire album there.

iMacs have an adjustable 15" or 17" LCD display. The eMac has a 17" CRT display. There are a few configuration differences between the two, but I don't think they are that much different. You can check out specific specs at www.apple.com. Personally, I think the eMac is a MUCH better value.

If you bought an iBook or a PowerBook, the only change from the eMac would be that the 'Books are portable. The OS is exactly the same and setup is equally simple. Again, there are config differences, but that's true with any computer. As far as you having to learn anything more about having a laptop, there is no change.

Well, that's about all I can answer for you. Good luck, and have fun with your new computer! Just ask if you need more help with anything.
Whoa, that's alot of information there. Thanks, dude. I think you answered all my questions.. haha. I didn't know that I could burn CDs from my Mac.. that's awesome. And money-saving. I think I'll go check out the two-button mice, too. Is Acquisition much like Kazaa? I know that on Kazaa, some of the songs are garbled, labeled wrong, or whatever. I'm guessing all the file sharing programs are like that, but hey, I'm curious. Thanks so much for your help! =)
QUOTE Thanks
catlikethief
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
Use Proteus.. it's the best multi network chat program that I know of for the mac at this point..
Hm.. I'll go check it out then. Thanks, bud.
QUOTE Thanks
JazzTrpt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiethang
steer clear of mozilla, use camino, which is what chimera used to be. They basically re-compiled the pc version of mozilla. camino was a branch of mozilla. Stay well away from netscape and IE. Adium is a nice program, and thats what i prefer. Opera needs some work on the OS X platform. Safari and camino are the two browsers that I use on a daily basis.
Oh yeah...true...I forgot it changed to Camino!
QUOTE Thanks
JazzTrpt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlikethief
Is Acquisition much like Kazaa? I know that on Kazaa, some of the songs are garbled, labeled wrong, or whatever. I'm guessing all the file sharing programs are like that, but hey, I'm curious. Thanks so much for your help! =)
Acquisition searches the gnutella network. Some of the songs are distorted and labeled wrong, so...no deal there. However if you're just using them to see what you like, then it doesn't matter! Peace
QUOTE Thanks
catlikethief
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzTrpt
Acquisition searches the gnutella network. Some of the songs are distorted and labeled wrong, so...no deal there. However if you're just using them to see what you like, then it doesn't matter! Peace
It works for my case, I guess. Thanks. =)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Mac-land is awesome | switching advice »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
OK, getting a PB 17 now a couple questions... Eleven Apple Notebooks 2 02-15-2005 04:22 PM
couple of questions? doubledvideo Schweb's Lounge 8 06-08-2004 01:16 AM
a couple of basic PB questions xr600 Apple Notebooks 5 05-03-2004 07:26 AM
A couple of questions... johndierks Switcher Hangout 4 11-13-2003 06:57 PM
A couple more questions. catlikethief Switcher Hangout 10 08-17-2003 11:25 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?