New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New to Macs - can't open file on shared drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MJC1964

MJC1964 is on a distinguished road

Hi - just got a new iMac and am set up to share drives on my PC via the router. Can see shared drives and files within on my PC (Word document) via Finder and a couple of days ago I could open these files across the network.

Tried opening same files today (or any others) and get an error saying "document name.doc is being used by "another user". Do you want to make a copy?"

Can anyone advise why this might be - that I could open them once but not now and how I solve this problem? PS. I have Office for Mac 2008 running.

Would really appreciate your help?

Thanks

MJC1964
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Erm, is it being used by another user?
QUOTE Thanks
MJC1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaheadpunk View Post
Erm, is it being used by another user?
Thanks skaheadpunk - no none of the files i try to open are in use by another user.
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Then that is unusual! Have you tried the obvious restart of the PC option?
QUOTE Thanks
MJC1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaheadpunk View Post
Then that is unusual! Have you tried the obvious restart of the PC option?
Yep tried that!
QUOTE Thanks
LeAstrale

LeAstrale is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Latest rev. Macbook in white :)

its a known issue in enterprises that office sometimes doesn't "let go" of the file after its done with it. Best tip i can give you is to open it on the PC and copy all content and start a new document and then paste the content over to that one and save it with a different filename. (There might be some hidden files in the directory of the .doc file with $ in them which indicates temperary files that are hidden, these can cause the "lock" too. Please note that they're the files used for restoring if you computer crashes)

besides that there is some tools that let you check which users/apps is using which files, you could use one of those to check the .doc files with.

Ready to revolutionise your look on computers, please try out my MacBook with an open mind. You'll never return to the dark side again.
QUOTE Thanks
MJC1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeAstrale View Post
its a known issue in enterprises that office sometimes doesn't "let go" of the file after its done with it. Best tip i can give you is to open it on the PC and copy all content and start a new document and then paste the content over to that one and save it with a different filename. (There might be some hidden files in the directory of the .doc file with $ in them which indicates temperary files that are hidden, these can cause the "lock" too. Please note that they're the files used for restoring if you computer crashes)

besides that there is some tools that let you check which users/apps is using which files, you could use one of those to check the .doc files with.
Thanks LeAStrale - but this is a problem for every single Word document that I'm trying to access on my PC. When I firts set up my iMac I could open them no problem but now I can't. Because there are so many files I couldn't do as you suggest. When I respond yes to making a copy I get a message that says "Word cannot open this document. The document might be in use or might not be a valid Word document"

However I know it is a valid Word document as I have opened it (and others) recently.

Just tried same for an Excel document on PC across the network and it opens fine??

What are the programs that tell me who/what is using a document currently?

Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
LeAstrale

LeAstrale is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Latest rev. Macbook in white :)

I unfortunately won't be able to help you before im off the job in anoter 3 hours and i can't remember the name of the app atm. But its for windows.

How many documents are we approximately talking about?

Ready to revolutionise your look on computers, please try out my MacBook with an open mind. You'll never return to the dark side again.
QUOTE Thanks
MJC1964

Thanks - seems to be all Word documents (Hundreds).

Anyone else got any ideas?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Comparing 24" iMac refurbs | Leopard 10.5.2 folders »