New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Photo Editing Software Questions.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

I'm switching to Mac fairly soon (getting an iBook in December most likely, going off to college), and I was wondering, is there any Mac alternative to Jasc's Paint Shop Pro? Because I've NEVER liked Photoshop. It's just not very artistic-related at all. It's just such a techy program. Its filters are utterly boring by comparison to PSP's. It's also incredibly expensive, even with the student discount. Can anyone who's ever used PSP on a PC recommend something more similar to it for Mac? Would a Corel program be a good alternative, perhaps?
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

It's not too exciting, but the GraphicConverter prog that comes with it does quite a good job.
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

GraphicConverter comes with the iBook? I don't think I have it on mine... let me check!

Edit: No, I don't think I got GraphicConverter with mine!
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Ive never used the above mentioned pc app, but maybe corel paint, or corel photopaint are some options
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

Well no matter and I do apologize for the possible thread hi-jacking but I had a question regarding Preview. I'm able to crop, rotate, and wotnot, but is there a way to resize the picture? Hey, it seems like a contribution to the thread!

Sorry, getting a bit pissed though now.
QUOTE Thanks
sivp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyvn
I'm switching to Mac fairly soon (getting an iBook in December most likely, going off to college), and I was wondering, is there any Mac alternative to Jasc's Paint Shop Pro? Because I've NEVER liked Photoshop. It's just not very artistic-related at all. It's just such a techy program. Its filters are utterly boring by comparison to PSP's. It's also incredibly expensive, even with the student discount. Can anyone who's ever used PSP on a PC recommend something more similar to it for Mac? Would a Corel program be a good alternative, perhaps?
I've used PSP and photoshop, truly, I think PSP isn't as good as Photoshop CS. I use Photoshop CS now on mac and all you need is to download some presets i.e. brushes, custom shapes, styles...

If you know what your doing and you have a vision, you can accomplish more with photoshop.

If your interested, email me for the presets, there not big so i can email them pack or post them on my web....
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

yup, I definitely prefer photoshop cs over any other photoediting style app ever. and no, you cant resize an image in preview.:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
sivp

Well, you have to copy the original file using the selection tool, make sure all the layers are flattened into one layer..

Then open a new project in photoshop with your specified size and paste your copied original image. In mac, press Command + T (Ctrl + T in windows) to open the transform tool and resize your picture so that it's squar with your canvas. Save it and your picture is now to your specs.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivp
Well, you have to copy the original file using the selection tool, make sure all the layers are flattened into one layer..

Then open a new project in photoshop with your specified size and paste your copied original image. In mac, press Command + T (Ctrl + T in windows) to open the transform tool and resize your picture so that it's squar with your canvas. Save it and your picture is now to your specs.
um, I think if he had photoshop to begin with, why would he be trying to resize in preview?
QUOTE Thanks
sivp

wops.. i misread some stuff, theres like 3 different topics in this thread........

BTW* nice going => almost at 400 posts :teen:

i couldn't post for like a week, but it's all good now.
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Oh well, GC must only come with the Powerbook. Sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

You could also try The Gimp for mac, although I've never tried it myself!

Corel's new painting app is pretty cool, only tried the trial version, but I was seriously impressed with what you can do with it... maybe give that a whirl...
QUOTE Thanks
iSheep

Photoshop Elements - download a trial and see what you think.
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

Whoa. SPEAKING of thread hijacking, this is probably the longest thread I've started on a forum in a long time. So, The Gimp's still around, eh? Isn't there more to it than just a plain graphics program, though? Like, using the Gimp is almost a programming language from what I've heard. And I think I'll take you up on that presets offer once I get my iBook. I appreciate it, particulary coming from someone who HAS used PSP's artistic tools. Most people I know that like Photoshop just haven't used anything else because it's the industry standard.
QUOTE Thanks
sivp

I like gimp, it's really easy to use, but not very effective for most projects. I remember the first time i used it was on Lindows.

You see, i tried Lindows cause i hate Windows, turns out they both suck, so i switched to MAC BEST decision i made in a long time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Brand new user | MSN Games? »