New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Keeping Applications Folder Icons Organized

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Havana

Havana is on a distinguished road

I cannot seem to keep the application icons organized alphabetically. I arrange them alphabetically, close the window down, but when I reopen the application window many of them are out of order. Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

Hi Havana,

Welcome to the forum!

If you were just to drag a new app into the folder, it would seek out its place alphabetically. I'm not sure why they wouldn't line up alphabetically without you're having to put them in their place...

Maybe you should try a utility like Onyx or MainMenu to run maintenance scripts and attempt to fix whatever may be wrong with your OS, assuming there is a problem. The utilities are both free and each does a good job. I use MainMenu and its icon sits on the upper right menu bar. It has a batch mode so it can run whatever scripts you want it to run. Run once a day in your Apple to keep the doctor away

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Click on the folder and then do a command j. click on the box keep arranged by name.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
05GT

05GT will become famous soon enough

You can also change the default settings on the folder. Choose the view you want whether it is list or icon etc. Once you've chosen this right click anywhere inside of the folder. Not on an icon, and choose the show view options.

Once here, you can set the default look of the folder. Sort by kind or alphabetically. Once I changed the settings to what I wanted, the folder has stayed the same ever since. It automatically realigns whenever something is dragged and dropped.

-13.3 Macbook Pro Retina / 64GB iP5 / 16GB iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

rman,

Thanks from me, too. I learned a new key combo - there are so many in Mac that I'm slowly learning as a new switcher

O5GT,

I tried your method and it does work, but with the Apps folder it only seems to work in Icons and List views - the other 2 views don't have any space to right click on without highlighting an app... Or is there a trick to that?

Noel
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to reinstall XP with boot camp | BlackbookVS MBP Graphics etc. »