New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

powerbook+ multiple monitors

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

blackwaterdev

blackwaterdev is on a distinguished road

How would I go about adding two external monitors to my powerbook? I can easily plug in another monitor and use it and the powerbook monitor but I want to basically just use my powerbook for the engine..keeping the display closed and use two flatscreens for display. Do I need to use a splitter to go from the video port to two monitors?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Dave_L

You should be able to obtain a monitor splitter box/adapter & various monitor cables, BUT you will only have the same image on both external monitors (mirror). You will not be able to extend the desktop across both monitors.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

The most you can get out of a PowerBook (or any laptop, Mac or PC) is one external plus the built-in display.

If you split the video-out, as Dave L said, you'll get the same image on both externals (plus the extended image on the internal.)

If you had a desktop tower, you could add additional video cards, up to however many PCI + AGP slots you had. No room for these in a notebook, though.
QUOTE Thanks
VastDeathmaster

There is a program out there that allows certain macs to have the desktop spanned over the original display and a second. I imagine if you added a third display with some box it would mirror instead of span, but that is only a guess.

The program is called something like Span Doctor. I have used it on my yearold eMac without issue, though my iBook was not on the list of compatible hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

That program is made for the systems that do not support extended desktops...the powerbooks do but since he is just splitting the video out signal it would not span it

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Kutless217

Kutless217 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
The most you can get out of a PowerBook (or any laptop, Mac or PC) is one external plus the built-in display.
not exactly true because i have seen setups with 3 external flat screen monitors....god it was beautiful

no idea how they did it though
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You can have 3 flat screen monitors mirroring the images but you can not do screen spanning unless you have a PowerMac with extra video outputs

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
sivp

i saw a software somewhere on the internet, i forgot wat it's called and it was pretty expensive, but it allowed you to use 3 seperate monitors over your network.

example powerbook
\
monitor one from pc 1
monitor two from pc 2
monitor three from pc 3

this may not be what your looking for, but it certainly sounder cool when i first saw it
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Ha! Once again I triumphantly turn up with the impossible and tell you:

It IS possible, provided you have a 15 or 17" powerbook with pcmcia slot.

Then all you need is this pcmcia graphics card to add a second dvi/adc port to your 'book.

http://www.welovemacs.com/vtbook.html

You can thank me later
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

as far as i know there already 2 video outs on a PB( s video and DVI) the pcmcia card sounds very cool aptmunich.

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The next step... | Cases? »