HuMpS 97 DoHc
    New User - iBook g4
    Well I just bought it about a week ago and have a few questions.

I've installed firefox and msn mac on it. But now on my desktop i have a .dmg file for both programs. if i move them to the trash the programs won't start up from the icons i have in the dock. So what are they? and what can I do with them???

Also is it better to put the computer to sleep or to shut it down inbetween uses. Such as going from between work and home or just if I won't be using it for a few hours. so whats best????

thanks

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    I don't use Firefox or anything msn, so the .dmg's are new to me. Between uses, just sleep it. I never shut down and that's fine

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by HuMpS 97 DoHc
    I've installed firefox and msn mac on it. But now on my desktop i have a .dmg file for both programs. if i move them to the trash the programs won't start up from the icons i have in the dock. So what are they? and what can I do with them???
    Just drag and drop the application from the .dmg file to your application folder. That is what you do to install most programs/applications. Then you can drag the .dmg file to the trash.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    Quote Originally Posted by rman
    Just drag and drop the application from the .dmg file to your application folder. That is what you do to install most programs/applications. Then you can drag the .dmg file to the trash.
    yup, mount the dmg, drag&drop the app into applications, eject the disk image, delete .dmg

Specs:
    Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
    Use AdiumX (http://www.adiumx.com)... It's way better than anything. It supports AIM, IRC, Yahoo, MSN and Firefox.
    And it's free.
    It's the best chat client I've ever used.

VastDeathmaster
    What may or may not be obvious from above is that after you have dragged the icon to the Apps folder and then deleted the .dmg file, you can then drag the app to your doc.

As far as shut down or not, I have found that Macs are very quick to awake from sleep vs most PCs, thus I leave my eMac in sleep mode instead of turning it off. Plus, turning it off means waiting for it to boot and I'm not patient

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    "I don't use Firefox or anything msn, so the .dmg's are new to me. Between uses, just sleep it. I never shut down and that's fine"

I find that hard to believe...

You have 2,000+ posts on this forum and obviously use a mac quite a bit, but have never come across a .dmg file before???

Almost everything you download and install off the internet comes in dmg packages...

HuMpS 97 DoHc
    thanks for all the responses.
    with your help i have the apps being able to run and my desktop is clean again
    and I added them to my doc.

I just installed a airport extreme card and when I get home i'll be hooking up a wireless router to my cable internet and hopefully will have wireless freedom by this evening in my hosue

HuMpS 97 DoHc
    Well i got the wireless network working with no problems.

I love it. I'm sitting in a big comfy lazy boy in front of the tv typing this right now. Using my wireless logitech mouse on the arm of the chair and it works surprisingly good

Desolate One
    Yes, feels good indeed!

Go Mac!

Thread Information