New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Spyware, etc.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JMH

My wife's and my blood pressure has dropped by at least 20 points since we switched to Powerbooks from PCs. However, I am concerned that we might be too complacent about viruses, spyware, and those things. We have no protection at the moment. The Mac's (10.3) internal pop-up software has been infallible in preventing pop-up ads, but is there something we should do or buy to address these other threats? Thanks for any advice.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

in general a lot of virus;s are written for pc's, and wont affect a mac, you will also have to let the virus install itself if i recall correctly by entering in your password

i have never even botherd being worried about getting a virus
-chris
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Since the Macintosh was first introduced I think there may have been a total of 12 viruses (none since OS X was introduced a few years back).

Spyware can not install itself without requesting the Administrators password so there hasn't been many attempts by companies to attach it to its software.

The only reason you might think of getting virus protection software is if you are on a network with PC's because your powerbook could allow the file to pass since it doesn't affect it but it can still get to the PC

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Virus/worms depend on the indefensible windows registry. Our equivalent is the kernel (Darwin) and admin or root user. No need for scanners unless you need to network to windows pcs
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

and even then you needn't be worried....only the windows users should...
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Virus/worms depend on the indefensible windows registry. Our equivalent is the kernel (Darwin) and admin or root user. No need for scanners unless you need to network to windows pcs
so should i be worried while connected to my schools network? i do believe that it is pc based
-chris
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

if there is a virus, it wont affect your mac, only the pcs you connect it to. which means its not your problem, though still take into consideration that others need those pcs at your school, so better to be safe than sorry, well, maybe not.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Virus/worms depend on the indefensible windows registry.
You can't edit the windows registry if you aren't signed in an as Admin
QUOTE Thanks
JMH

Thanks for the information and reassurance.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
You can't edit the windows registry if you aren't signed in an as Admin
False...
Part of the registry can be edited as a power user (which is not admin in Windows)
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

ZDNet Australia reports
Destructive OS X malware spies on Apple users

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/securit...9164062,00.htm

also check…
http://www.macintouch.com/opener.html
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by immdb
ZDNet Australia reports
Destructive OS X malware spies on Apple users

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/securit...9164062,00.htm

also check…
http://www.macintouch.com/opener.html
It appears to me that you have to be an Admin to even install it.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
False...
Part of the registry can be edited as a power user (which is not admin in Windows)
Then don't be logged in as either at power user or admin when you aren't installing anything.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
Then don't be logged in as either at power user or admin when you aren't installing anything.
Well, obviously you never tried to work with Windows NT, 2k or XP with a simple user account... because for nearly everything, you need access to the registry. A normal user doesn't have those rights, therefore working becomes a big pain in the a.. with that type of account.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Well, obviously you never tried to work with Windows NT, 2k or XP with a simple user account... because for nearly everything, you need access to the registry. A normal user doesn't have those rights, therefore working becomes a big pain in the a.. with that type of account.
I am working on a normal user account right now. I guess I just don't do anything that needs to edit the registry that often.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes Problem/Error | I'm missing something here, ClearDock »