New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Possible switcher...many questions though

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lsutiger123

OK i've been using PCs since I've started using computers. I've recently been captivated by the talk about Macs. I'd like to switch, but am a little hesitant. If this is going to be my first Mac, should I get an eMac? I will most likely choose the eMac because it is in my price range, and I don't really do too many complicated things on my computer anyway(just basic college stuff...surfing, chatting, email, music) But one thing i am concerned about is the integration of PC hardware and software. I have alot of stuff that I use for my Pc that I really do not want to have to buy again for the Mac (Iomega external DVD burner, a printer, and an external ZIP drive mainly). Will i be able to install and use these on a Mac. I've been told that "Virtual PC" can be used to allow me to do this. Also, I've jsut recently bought a D-Link Air card and Wireless router; can i use these for the Mac? I'd appreciate any help or information, I'm just concerned about these things and want to make the best decision. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

eMac's are fine machines just be sure to get enough RAM (512 min I say)

You will have to check out the sites on the specific peripherals to see if they are compatible with OS X.

Virtual PC would not make a difference with the hardware, plus it is expensive and slow.

The D-Link AirCard will not work but you can get the AirPort extreme card and that will connect to your wireless router

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

the iomega peripherals, depending on how old they are, should work, the printer will most likely work, what brand/model is it? but Im pretty much 99.9% sure the external dvd burner and zip drive will work. though itunes doesnt support burning mp3 dvds to external iomega drives, but you could always use toast.:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
colday

I just got my first Mac a week or so ago. I've been a very avid PCer for years. I build my own (as well as others) PCs. I have close to $2,000 worth of software. My PC is a P4 3.0, 1gb pc 3500 ram 2 120gb drives in a raid setup, 80gb system disk, and a 160gb video disk. In short I eat, sleep, and drink PCs.

Well, it has been shut down, turned off, & neglected since this sweet little iBook G4 arrived. And, I hate laptops!

I plan on selling the PC, lock, stock, & barrel, and getting a 20" iMac G5.

All I can say is don't do it! It will over take you!

Get the iBook (look in the iBook forum). If you do change your mind they have a good resale ability (you won't). Then replace your desktop with a good Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
CJ064

CJ064 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro

i purchased this used g3 i book about a week ago to see if i wanted to make the switch before i spent the money and a new one and got stuck with it if i didn't like it. well i have a prety sweet alienware pc and its not seeing any use anymore and im selling it to get a new iBook or maybe a powerbook. i think os X is better too look at and i find it easy to use.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

My sig says it all, IMO :alien:
QUOTE Thanks
xwonderboy85x

xwonderboy85x is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM

I just switched about two months ago. I too had a top of the line PC that I built myself. I got a PowerBook and will almost certainly never go back.
Peripherals are almost always compatible, as previously stated.
For a student, I'd suggest a laptop before a desktop if only for the portability.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Switching between apps using the keyboard. | Disk Utilities »