New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Switcher wants an image editor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

juliangall

juliangall is on a distinguished road

I have just switched and am really missing a good image editor. Windows Paint was not bad for simple manipulation of screen grabs etc. Paint.NET was an excellent fully featured editor. I used PhotoShop in the past - also v. good although not free of course.

I need the "standard" functions like layers, image size and resolution, canvas size, rotate image, filters, add text etc.

I must admit I was quite surprised not to find something already present on the system. iPhoto is ok for what it does but you can't use it to create graphics.

I've tried Seashore (no canvas size, no image rotate), Acorn (no canvas size, rather tedious command palette), Pixelmator (has the functions but is it really worth $59 for intermittent use?).

I have read about Gimp but lots of talk of X11 and XQuartz packages. I just want to install a program for goodness sake!

Please tell me that Windows isn't better provided for in this area than OSX. I thought Macs were designed for graphics.

Julian
QUOTE Thanks
getuptogetdown

getuptogetdown is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle

Well if you're looking to not pay a lot of money try out photoshop elements. It has pretty much the same stuff as photoshop just not as technical. You could also try gimp...it's freeware and supposed to be pretty good

Loving my MBP more and more everyday
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Try Paintbrush if you liked Paint and .NET Paint on Windows. It's basically a Mac-based clone.

If you need something more complex, there's been a ton of threads on this forum asking the same question. Try doing a search for "paint programs" and you'll get literally hundreds of suggestions. In particular, I find Pixelmator to be most excellent.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« locked folders after transferring folders from pc | I finally got a macbook!! »