New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Firefox Crashed Again, IMac Slow Again

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KiwiJenn

KiwiJenn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver

OK this is the second time, I've had with these two things..

Two days ago: Once again Firefox crashed. I had three tabs open and I clicked on a tab then it did nothing. I got that colored circle spinning around. I couldn't do anything on my Mac at all, so I pressed the on/off button till the iMac turned off, then I turned it on again.

I ran the Daily script then just carried on with surfing the net.

Today: I turned my iMac on and everything just seemed slower than normal. I opened up Firefox and had a couple tabs open and it was slowish. Browsing wasn't slow, but when I was typing a reply here on MF in one tab, it was slow. I had to delete a couple words and it was at snails pace. The other tabs I didn't have anything going on.

I looked in Activity Monitor and pboard has like 584kb real memory, launchd has around 524kb real memory and firefox was around 90kb real memory. I have Adium, Yahoo Messenger, Finder and Activity Monitor open.

I have just rebooted my iMac and it seems ok now.

Questions:
After turning on my iMac it becomes slow, this has happened twice now, any ideas what is causing this and why? On a 5th month old iMac

Any idea's why Firefox keeps crashing, this has happened twice. is this the normal thing and am i to just expect this to happen.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Start with Repairing permissions with Disk Utility.

Issues Related to Permissions

"Incorrect permission settings may cause unexpected behavior. Here are several examples with troubleshooting suggestions:
  • Application installers, Applications folder
    A third-party application installer incorrectly sets permissions on the files it installs, or even the entire Applications folder. Symptoms of the Application folder's permissions being set incorrectly include applications appearing in the dock as question marks, and/or not being able to connect to the Internet. It is also possible that software installed while logged in as one user will be inaccessible when logged in as another. To avoid this, make sure you are logged in with your normal user account when installing software that you wish to use with that account.
  • Power interruption
    The file system may be affected by a power interruption (improper shutdown) or when it stops responding (a "hang" or "freeze"). This could affect permissions."
You can try running all the Maintenance scripts manually.

The Terminal way

"Using your Admin account, you can execute all three maintenance scripts at once, as follows:
  1. Launch Terminal, in the Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities folder.
  2. At the Terminal prompt, type the following, exactly as written
  3. sudo periodic daily weekly monthly
  4. Press Return.
  5. Type your Admin password when prompted, then press Return.
All three scripts will run in sequence. There is no visual feedback while the scripts execute. You will know they are completed when the Terminal prompt returns."

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
KiwiJenn

Mac Specs: iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver

Thanks for the detailed information I will go try this.
QUOTE Thanks
KiwiJenn

I just done a Repair Disk Permissions for the first time, here is the result.

Does it look ok or were there problems? I don't understand what the log meant really. I didn't use a cd or anything, just clicked on Repair Disk permissions
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Its normal. There's usually a few items, especially after an install. Its a common practice to repair permissions after any updates, installs, etc.

If your still having problems with an app. it can also be a corrupt preference (plist) file for it. For Safari, it would be Safari.apple.com.plist
You can use Spotlight to find it and drag it to the trash, then launch the app. It will create a new preference file.

Also, for troubleshooting, create a new user account. If the problem stops, it would be something in your home folder. If it continues, it would be something in the system itself. (for example, the app. itself)

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Try trashing Firefox and redownloading it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« easy setup? | Losing My Mac Virginity Tomorrow »