New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

OS X "Tiger"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

UnderOath

hey guys - yet another question...

if i buy an iBook this december, will OS X "tiger" come out right after i buy it and i already have to pay the money to upgrade the OS? Or will it be ON the computer by December? Anyone have any idea on this?

-M
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Tiger certainly will NOT be on ANY Macs by December.

Tiger will be released in the first half of 2005. Traditionally they would sell Tiger separetley, and ship Panther on the macs for a small period of time. Then, once its been out for a short period of time, they will put it on the macs they are shipping

Correct me if i'm wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
UnderOath

so how often do they update? is it as infrequent as microsoft? just getting a feel for how often i'm going to have to shell out the money to upgrade the OS.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

tiger comes out march 31, 2005. I have the latest beta and its nice. since os x started, about every year, a new OS came out.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

And the day they release tiger they begin to put the OS onto the computers they sell (most of them in the stores do not have tiger on them because they were manufactured before the release)

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

There was some talk some time ago, that after Tiger. Apple will slow down on the creation of major OS upgrades. Instead of every year, maybe every 18 months.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Usually, when a new OS comes out, there's an "up-to-date" program that gives $20 upgrades to the new OS for customers who bought a Mac (or a boxed OS upgrade to the previous version) less than a month before the new OS came out.
QUOTE Thanks
xwonderboy85x

xwonderboy85x is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM

Is Tiger going to be worth the money? I've looked at some of the things that are "all the buzz" about it and it really doesn't seem that exciting... At least not exciting enough to pay the money... Is there really any great reasons to switch?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Well compared to the jump from Jag -> Panther, Panther -> Tiger is a much bigger improvement.

If you have a G5 it will be nice because of the G5 optimization and in general things will probably run faster. I am really interested in trying out Automater and Spotlight seems like a great search function.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

Yaa tiger will be cool!!!

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

cannot wait,

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
UnderOath

it says there's 150 new features.. if that's the case i dont see any reason NOT to upgrade!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well I think they always say that

But I will be upgrading since my entire workflow will hopefully be more efficient using spotlight... I love the way you can currently search from finder boxes, spotlight will hopefully be even better in that respect..
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
tiger comes out march 31, 2005. I have the latest beta and its nice. since os x started, about every year, a new OS came out.
The date has not been released so don't take March 31 as for sure. Until Apple gives a release date it could be any time between now and middle of next year.

And while updates have come out yearly, Apple announced at last years WWDC that they're slowing down OS releases so I would probably expect one every 1.5-2 years now.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

when I had tiger installed, it was good, as far as dashboard, its a lot like konfabulator, just built into the OS. spotlight is great.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AirPort keeps connecting to wrong network! | My Terminal is messed up. »