New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Is my brand new mac already obsolete?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lilmul123

lilmul123 is on a distinguished road

As some of you know, I just got a brand new boxed mid-2007 2.16Ghz blackbook. It has the slower video processor and can only access up to 3 gigs of RAM. Is it already out of date? Should I have bought a newer macbook?

I was thinking about either upgrading the RAM to 3 gigs (with 2 gigs x 2), or selling this machine on ebay--honestly, I'd rather not do that because I've fallen in love with this thing. Ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

technology is always getting better. I say just enjoy your macbook and dont worry about it.

How much RAM do you have in it? do you really need 3 gigs or do you just want it to say you have it?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The thing is there will always be another newer system. If one keeps waiting they will never own their Mac as something new is always around the corner. As long as it works well for you, just enjoy it! It's a great machine.

I bought my iBook JUST before the Core Duo Macbooks came out. I could have waited but needed a notebook. It would have been nice but this one does what I need it to do.
QUOTE Thanks
lilmul123

I want at least two gigs. I'm going to college for engineering, and I probably should have some extra for those demanding programs.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I have a late 2006 black Macbook with 2.0GHz and 2GB of RAM and it's still quite fast for everything I do on it.

Just throw in as much RAM as you can afford and you'll be set for quite some time.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmul123 View Post
As some of you know, I just got a brand new boxed mid-2007 2.16Ghz blackbook. It has the slower video processor and can only access up to 3 gigs of RAM. Is it already out of date? Should I have bought a newer macbook?
I'm not sure how something from mid-2007 can be "new".. Does Apple still sell them like this?

I guess it depends on how much you paid for it. If you got a good deal, and it works for you, save your cash and enjoy your laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
mac0s9user

mac0s9user is a jewel in the roughmac0s9user is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.

Things go obsolete extremely quickly in this age. My HP laptop was replaced 3 weeks after I bought it. I was a little bummed but it still does everything I need it to. So its not obsolete to me. I consider something obsolete when you cant find an OS that will work on it anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
lilmul123

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.SubZero View Post
I'm not sure how something from mid-2007 can be "new".. Does Apple still sell them like this?
No, at my local Apple dealer, they had this macbook for 879.99 and I had to snatch it up. It was sitting in their storage room for a good 8 months I guess.
QUOTE Thanks
tux08902

I really don't think any Mac is obsolete. Apple supports their platform very well, so they ensure longevity. I'm sure that machine will serve you very well.
QUOTE Thanks
GroovyLinuxGuy

GroovyLinuxGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10

Nope...it's not truely out of date until you can't do what you need to do on it. I am still running my iBook G4 as much as my MacBook Pro and they both do what I need them to do.

But that's just my $0.02

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

Tanner31593 has a spectacular aura about

I would say you have QUITE Some time before your Mac is obsolete!
My PowerBook G3 on the other hand........
QUOTE Thanks
lilmul123

So do you think I have at least three years or so on it? That's about how old my previous laptop was.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

"Obsolete" is subjective. Does your beloved Mac still do what you want it to do? You can always upgrade the ram if you want and this always helps speed things up a bit. However, I wouldn't allow myself to start feeling disappointed with my computer just because there are newer, faster models available. Apple updates their hardware pretty often so, if you allow yourself to adopt this attitude, you'll be feeling this way fairly regularly.

QUOTE Thanks
lilmul123

Alright, I'll upgrade the RAM and continue snuggling with my MB. Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
Likugha

Likugha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2 GHz Core Duo ! GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Sometimes i still use a pen and paper... is that obsolete
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook 2.4Ghz and Adobe Photoshop Creative Suite? | really stupid question »