New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac stability myth

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HIPAR

HIPAR is on a distinguished road

Every time I see a forum comment about the Windows Blue Screen of Death, someone jumps in proclaiming 'Get a Mac'. Well I have a PowerBook Pro (Fully patched Leopard) that I'm struggling to learn. In the past few weeks I have seen more irritating hard lockups than I have witnessed on all three of my XP machines in the last two years.

Now I freely admit I don't know always know what I'm doing but if this machine is really as stable as the zealots claim, there shouldn't be too many ways I can break it. I mean that spinning pinwheel that prevents me from reaching the Force Quit menu is every bit as maddening as the infamous Windows blue screen.

I don't 'Love my Mac'.

--- CHAS
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

few people here would say that macs are unfalteringly stable. they will have issues like any other piece of electronics - especially one that you can load your own applications on to.

the windows is less stable myth, which to me seems more accurate a statement in a way, comes from the fact that there are more possible hardware configurations, more 3rd party apps and hardware, more malware, etc. even if the OSs were dead even off the line, all the mutability of the windows platform will surely give more users more issues than with apple products.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You could always try this:

http://www.alienware.com/?from=PAIDS...FQY_agodenhEgg

www.dell.com

I am far from a Mac Zealot and own as many PC's as Macs, but I still find OSX WAY more stable than Windows. No, it's not perfect, nothing is, but I rarely have the OS totally lock. Maybe once a year if that and I am a power user and use my machines HARD.

Then again my home made systems are quite stable with XP Pro also. I really never get HARD lockups with either XP or OSX. MOST of the issues I have ever had with OSX are with aftermarket programs.
QUOTE Thanks
safarisurfer

safarisurfer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13 inch 2012 Air

i havent had any issues with my mac. nearly 6 months now without a single crash. then again my windows xp machines dont crash very often if at all either.

only time ive experienced bad crashes o windows xp is from overclocking. wich i dont bother with anymore.

definatly sounds like your machine needs to be serviced.
QUOTE Thanks
lightsguydave

lightsguydave will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB

I honestly believe then entire stability debate is completely pointless, as the arguments are totally subjective.

Mac zealots will rock up and say "Mac are infallible, never crash, BRILLIANT"

But they just.do.

There are much better reasons to own a mac. When I first got my MacBook, it was actually dead on arrival. I got about 3 hours of life out of it, then the whole thing died. Arguably, this was probably a manufacturing fault, rather than a fundamental operating system flaw. But the point is, no system is completely stable. And its stability very much depends on what one does with it.

For this argument to be settled, you'd have to empirically test the theory, so testing 2 machines of the same configuration, one with OSX and one with XP on it.

Putting my opinion hat on for just one second... Since the new one, my mac hasn't crashed on me yet.... But there's always a first time and when there is there'll be a PC user there to watch it happen

Dave

"Windows users swear at their computers, Mac users swear by their computers"
SUPPORT THE SAMARITANS AND BEFRIENDERS WORLDWIDE - providing emotional support for those with suicidal and despairing feelings.

QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

Cmd+opt+esc to get to force quit menu. Something might have been installed or uninstalled improperly that is screwing with your system, or you could have bad hardware. Mac OS X is generally more stable than Windows, but it's far from perfect, and hardware defects exist as well, try running repair permissions from the Disk Utility that can be found in the Utilities folder which is in your applications folder.

Use the Rep System!!

Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPAR View Post
Well I have a PowerBook Pro
Perhaps you would have a more stable experience if you used a computer that actually existed.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

HA! nice catch.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Corbri

Corbri will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g

I don't have issues with that on my mac, and my info on the matter would be to first make sure that you have enough memory, harddrive space, etc... to run Leopard or whatever it is that you are running, and if the answer is yes, then I'd say well wtf are you doing to it and why are you "struggling" to learn? It took me a week to become perfectly comfortable with it, and trust me there was no struggling involved.

Any crashes I've ever experienced on a newer mac, that came with Leopard were quick, simple, and fixed in less then 30 seconds and I was back on my way to a perfectly working machine. When windows crashes, you force quit, force quit DOESN'T force quit like it should so, you restart, on snap there is bill gates blue screen of death, you reformat, you lose EVERYTHING, you spend weeks looking for new drivers and backups for what you lost, and then you repeat the cycle endlessly.

On a mac, if something doesn't respond (which doesn't happen often) you force quit... when you hit the force quit... what do you know it actually makes the program quit... NOW. That takes care of it. If it freezes you simply restart it, and in 15-30 seconds you are back up and running and don't experience the problem again.

Also, I'm not a grandmother who only e-mail with her machine. I run mine hard also. I play WoW, Need for Speed Carbon, Homeworld 2, the sims 2 and do other things like Aperture, Adobe Photoshop CS3, Dreamweaver, play with the terminal, have made mine a smackbook, and put an alarm on it, decided I didn't like Little Snitch. I've shamelessly moved and deleted hundreds of things, and had 3 games running at the same time. Hot mac... no crashes though.

Some advice I have for you, is that if you're struggling you're probably trying to make your mac a pc. If you find yourself saying "Well that's not where it should be" or "On my pc it's there" then you are going about learning it the wrong way. Explore things, have fun with it, and don't let it beat you, because I promise you if you try with an open mind and forget about windows you will learn a lot faster, and you'll notice like others have told me that, it is actually very user friendly, and probably easier for a common user to understand then windows.

As for your crashing issue lifeisabeach below seems keen on trouble shooting it for you.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPAR View Post
Every time I see a forum comment about the Windows Blue Screen of Death, someone jumps in proclaiming 'Get a Mac'. Well I have a PowerBook Pro (Fully patched Leopard) that I'm struggling to learn. In the past few weeks I have seen more irritating hard lockups than I have witnessed on all three of my XP machines in the last two years.

Now I freely admit I don't know always know what I'm doing but if this machine is really as stable as the zealots claim, there shouldn't be too many ways I can break it. I mean that spinning pinwheel that prevents me from reaching the Force Quit menu is every bit as maddening as the infamous Windows blue screen.

I don't 'Love my Mac'.

--- CHAS
Whatever the problem is, there almost certainly is a solution. You may have faulty hardware, a rogue piece of software, some kind of corruption in a Library folder, etc. Griping about it solves NOTHING! These forums are full of knowledgeable folks and if you are patient, follow any advice given, and give ongoing feedback on how the advice worked or didn't, it's a near-certainty the root of your issues will be found. But it's incumbent on you to ask for help.
QUOTE Thanks
swedevb

swedevb is on a distinguished road

I too have been disappointed with my MBP's stability. It isn't necessarily bad but it does crash more than my previous XP system did. I have found though that the significant majority of the "crashes" have been due to one program, Firefox, even with latest updates. As I've said in previous posts but few fanboys will admit, Mac and XP are more alike than different.
Swedevb
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That is an Application crash and NOT an OSX crash. Happens on XP also and it's not the fault of XP either.
QUOTE Thanks
swedevb

swedevb is on a distinguished road

dtravis7, that is ultimately my point. Swedevb
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

There isn't an operating system (or program for that matter) that can't 'crash' or 'panic' (actually a more correct term. This includes the big boys.. that is mainframe OS's like z/OS (os/390) and Tandem, Unix's (AIX, HPUX) etc. That being said, for the most part those panics are related to user operation rather than runtime. You should probably be more interested in looking at what you're doing when your system panics rather than seeking to blame the OS.

Windows? Yep, a little less stable. Why? A myriad of physical host configurations and dubious 3rd party drivers. I won't even get into the mess that can be the system registry. Now, the level of output from OS X (and really most unix-like OS) compared to windows really helps with PD.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
EGGO

EGGO is a jewel in the roughEGGO is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).

Back when I had a Windows machine, the way to correct this problem was to uninstall Yahoo Instant Messenger.

My mac has crashed more frequently than Windows, so far. But 3 months is not a fair ratio to 4-5 years. There's nothing wrong, it happens on legal software but corrects itself after a reboot, I guess.

Corbri doesn't sound like he actually read your post, since you said Force Quit does nothing (and it has happened to me before) and a blue screen never reformatted my hard drive. In fact, I'm still using the same one from my Windows machine.

It all comes down to this, and this is something almost everybody hates to realize. The two operating systems are pretty much the same. One is not more "stable" they both can run "hard" because I did more with my Windows machine than Corbri is doing on his Mac and still had enough to render 3D with no problems, and a lot more that I already got into in another post.

It's not a "myth" it's a marketing thing that Apple does that worked to bring people in.

The Visual Portfolio
I hate mac zealots as much as windows/other OS zealots.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Freezing during gameplay. | Cleaning matte screen »