A few questions about Bootcamp
    I'd like to install Bootcamp but I got some concerns..

1. What version of windows do i need? I got windows XP without any service packs.. I don't need to do much on it just school projects in dev c++ thats all (I find xCode to be 'clumsy' with simple line programs that are intendeted for PCs)

2. If later on I decide to completely delete Windows XP and bring everything back to 'normal'.. is it even possible? I'm scared of the partitioning and all that..

Thanks

I believe you will need Windows XP with Service Pack 2. Or Vista...

As far as deleting the Windows Partition, I'm almost sure that you can delete it off and go back to straight Mac OS X.

Best,
    -AC

Quote Originally Posted by BBMike View Post
    I'd like to install Bootcamp but I got some concerns..

1. What version of windows do i need? I got windows XP without any service packs.. I don't need to do much on it just school projects in dev c++ thats all (I find xCode to be 'clumsy' with simple line programs that are intendeted for PCs)
    You must have at least Windows XP with Service Pack 2. If SP2 is not pre-applied on the installer disc, it won't cut it.

2. If later on I decide to completely delete Windows XP and bring everything back to 'normal'.. is it even possible? I'm scared of the partitioning and all that..
    Yes... you can simply delete the partition. I believe the Boot Camp Utility will also take care of removing Windows also.

Specs:
    Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
    BBMike,

Go to your Applications folder, then to the Utilities folder. There you'll find the Boot Camp Assistant. Open it and there you'll see the button to print the Boot Camp Application and Set Up Guide pdf. Open it and read it, it will give you the specific requirements you need to follow, the versions of Windows allowed, etc.

I just did the Boot Camp/XP install and it wasn't difficult at all. If you need help along the way, PM me and I'll be glad to help.

Noel

Specs:
    2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
    Why not try the FREE Virtualbox and use it to create a virtual windows partition.

It will be ok for low to medium demands.

This way you can easily go betwen windows and mac os x and it will allow you to install ANY version of windows.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Screenshots

Specs:
    13 inch 2012 Air
    i had duel boot with windows when i first bought it. later i chose to remove windows and my macbook restored the partition in less then 5 minutes. it was not complicated. all you do is open bootcamp and choose restore and its done. your windows partition will be deleted and all the space recovered without any hassle.

brilliant really.

My Macbook Pro has been partitioned with xp but I am having problems accessing the (wireless) internet. I can get onto the internet on the Mac OS side but not the XP side....

can anyone help? Unfortunately I do need the internet on the xp side as I have to access my work machine at work to enable remote work. They do not have a set up that allow mac access (their remote control is not set up for it). I have tested it. This is my last resort. Help please!

Specs:
    13 inch 2012 Air
    Quote Originally Posted by systinson View Post
    My Macbook Pro has been partitioned with xp but I am having problems accessing the (wireless) internet. I can get onto the internet on the Mac OS side but not the XP side....

can anyone help? Unfortunately I do need the internet on the xp side as I have to access my work machine at work to enable remote work. They do not have a set up that allow mac access (their remote control is not set up for it). I have tested it. This is my last resort. Help please!

sometimes i lose internet on my xp partition. i must right click the network icon next to the clock and choose repair. this usually fixes it. actually ive had it fix problems with no networks found using this method also. it took a little tinkering.

Thread Information