New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Big Switch Office for Windows to Office Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Z4MC

Z4MC is on a distinguished road

Ok this is almost bigger than the OS switch for me.
Office 2008 for Mac has a FAR better user interface than its gillion selling Windows counterpart!
The Microsoft Mac tema got it right- the MAIN things that everyone does with a document are...?
1> Printing
2> Saving
3> Emailing.
And guess what, in Office 2007 Windows these are NOT one click LARGE icons- you have to either hit the Office logo button then move your mouse down then over to the right to select one of these actions- VERY kludgy OR you can add some tiny little icons that are one click. Apple has led the way with larger icons for years since OS X first came out and in this case, bigger is better.
So the Mac Office team (God Bless em!) put LARGE icons for these most important functions right where they need to be- single click not hiding behind any stupid  "all in one' button.
All th while getting 99% file compatibility between the Windows and Mac versions.
I will be including a license for Office Mac with my order!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Interesting, I have both Office 2004 and iWork08 for Mac. I haven't even seen the Office 08 version yet. I may have to play with it one of these days.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Eh, I like both Office 2007 and Office 2008. They're both infinitely more useable than what they replaced

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Than what replacements?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
EGGO

EGGO is a jewel in the roughEGGO is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).

Eh, I don't like Office '08 for Mac. Especially if I have to use the thesaurus or dictionary, it animates and does it slowly then makes it hard to navigate and the hotkeys aren't as easy as PC's.

The Visual Portfolio
I hate mac zealots as much as windows/other OS zealots.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Well, they could hardly do worse than Office 2007. Besides the decision to use the Office logo as the menu-for-everything, the organization of the toolbars leaves a lot to be desired.

Office 2008's interface still seems very odd to me, though. The toolbars aren't customizable in the normal drag-and-drop way, Excel's formula bar can't be docked, and the main toolbar can't be floated. It's like each toolbar had a seperate design team.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Than what replacements?
I meant what they replaced (i.e. Office 2003 and 2004)

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Z4MC

Z4MC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Well, they could hardly do worse than Office 2007. Besides the decision to use the Office logo as the menu-for-everything, the organization of the toolbars leaves a lot to be desired.

Office 2008's interface still seems very odd to me, though. The toolbars aren't customizable in the normal drag-and-drop way, Excel's formula bar can't be docked, and the main toolbar can't be floated. It's like each toolbar had a seperate design team.
yes this is true on the Windows version as well. While this is true of both it is more pronounced in the WIndows version. I am sure MS had resones for this but really after all those billions in profits I would think that this product would be FAR advanced by now (allowing the user to make their onw tool bars AT LEAST). But this is what happens when thousands of coders do a job that hundreds (dozens) should be doing. VERY tough to get everyone on the same page
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

I stopped using Office 2008 and went back to Pages for my daily work. I admit Pages, when compared to Word is under-developed, although I prefer its simple interface and quicker responsiveness (it loads faster, and requires less memory) than Word.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro...? | I took the plunge »