New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

safari?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kbrodz

kbrodz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4.

Howdy all. I just my ibook this morning and im trying to set it up. Now i was wondering if there is a way to turn off the auto complete on web addresses? I cant seem to find a way to do it.

Thanks,
Keith
QUOTE Thanks
Devoidarex

I think what you need is under Safari>Preferences...>AutoFill
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Why would you wanna turn off auto complete on web addresses? It's very convenient and all you have to do is just type out what you really want when it's different
QUOTE Thanks
Devoidarex

My guess is that when his mom tries to type in www.sewing.com, he doesn't want www.sex.com to be the first web address to pop up.

Just a guess though.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainMack

haha lol. that would be annoying :0
QUOTE Thanks
code777

yeah, i hate autocomplete with a passion, i don't like it at all. especially when i let others use my iBook or iMac G5
QUOTE Thanks
kbrodz

kbrodz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Why would you wanna turn off auto complete on web addresses? It's very convenient and all you have to do is just type out what you really want when it's different
when i got my iBook it already had websites in safari. for example when i go to google golfweb shows up, 1800flowers is in there too. It just there are websites that i didnt go to that are in there and its annoying when they all pop up when i start to type the url. I stopped using safari and am using fire fox now and you can turn it off in firefox so its all good now.
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Just reset Safari, this should fix it (Safari menu->Reset Safari). Also clear caches (Safari menu->Clear Caches).

This fixes it.
QUOTE Thanks
edokid

edokid is on a distinguished road

I hate how it does that too, not because I don't want people to see things but if I start to type like www.imdb.com it will automatically put the / then the name of some movie or something and I always press enter before erasing it. It only does it on some sites but it's done it with apple too, typing in apple.ca it auto adds the /canadastore part and when I press enter it takes me to the apple store.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Resetting Safari will clear all the old URLs out of the location bar.
(Actually, if you bought a used Mac, I'd suggest you reformat and re-install everything, just to clean out the cobwebs and make it "your" computer.)

If you're typing in a URL and you don't like the suggestion, though, just hit "delete" once and Safari will drop the auto-completed part.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

But no, you can't turn this 'feature' off.

It annoys me too sometimes, coming to this site for example I always get the 'post new reply' page instead of the main forum page. I now use a bookmark instead.

Try firefox if you can't learn to love safari...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I delete xcode, classic etc and reinstall? | Switching between apps using the keyboard. »