New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Cant connect to internet !!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

etes

Hi guys,

OK now this isnt suppose to happen. ...
I have been using a Mac for 2~3 weeks, but it wasnt connected to the net (just playing around with it once is a while... kinda bussy) It is a G3 400 (bought it to try out this great OS), OS X 10.1, integrated NIC/LAN.

So I plug in the network cable (I am using the network in my university residence, works great under linux and windows) and I start the Mac .... go into IE .... nothing .... I was expecting the network to setup automatically ...
I go into some network settings in preferences and some connection settings, play around with those ... NOTHING .....

One thing to mention is that suring boot time 'Initializing Network' does take a while (like few seconds ... but it stays on it for a while)

I have ZERO experince with MAC and need help ... Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
adiliegro

Open network preferences and make sure it is set for Automatic. It may be set for another IP or someting.
QUOTE Thanks
etes

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiliegro
Open network preferences and make sure it is set for Automatic. It may be set for another IP or someting.
yes it is Auto, and default was auto, i tried other stuff, tried auto again .. no go . :confused:
ok is there a way to tell if I am getting an IP ?? like windows and linux have utilities (like ipconfig and GUI based utilities) to tell u the IP, Default Gateway, and other stuff .... Is there such a thing under OS X ??

Just to add, I am sure this network works with Mac OS X as some of my friends use iBooks and PowerBooks

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

In the network panel, make sure you have using dhcp turn on.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Go to applications-> utilities and there find 'network utility'

That will tell you all about your network activity.

"I am sure this network works with Mac OS X"
As far as I know, most networks aren't OS specific, meaning they'll work with almost anything on the market today...

My university only lets you access the network through a VPN client, meaning you have to log-on first using a special client application.

Does your uni have any networking guidelines?

But don't despair, it's not the computer, just need to get it set up correctly and it'll work... even windows and linux pc's need to be setup correctly.
QUOTE Thanks
etes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Does your uni have any networking guidelines?

But don't despair, it's not the computer, just need to get it set up correctly and it'll work... even windows and linux pc's need to be setup correctly.
No network guidelines .... actually my HDD on my PC died so I tried Knoppix Live Linux (linux that boots from CD) and that was first time with linux. (a week ago)

Both Win and Linux just picked up the network automatically.

I will try the suggestions ASAP.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
etes

I tried everything you guys said ... and nothing .... I c an IP in the Network utility thing, it says 10Mbps and it says some packets sent and recived without error though that # doesnt change.

I cant go to internet, I cant use QuickTIme's stuff that need net connection (it says no connection) and so I am stuck .... This really isnt wut I was expecting ....
What can I do ???
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I think your problem is the mac address. You stated that you were using linux and no problem. Also window not problem. Both of the OS were running on the same pc (same mac address). Then you said you can not connect on OS X, which mean you are using an Apple product (new mac address). Most schools register computer by their mac address.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
etes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
I think your problem is the mac address. You stated that you were using linux and no problem. Also window not problem. Both of the OS were running on the same pc (same mac address). Then you said you can not connect on OS X, which mean you are using an Apple product (new mac address). Most schools register computer by their mac address.
well that makes sence, except the question is how can I fix it , or can I fix it at all ??
I want to use both PC and MAC .
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

It sure can be fixed, ask the school admin how to register your Apple's MAC address
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes Questions | I am having problems please help!!! »