etes
    Unhappy Cant connect to internet !!
    Hi guys,

OK now this isnt suppose to happen. ...
    I have been using a Mac for 2~3 weeks, but it wasnt connected to the net (just playing around with it once is a while... kinda bussy) It is a G3 400 (bought it to try out this great OS), OS X 10.1, integrated NIC/LAN.

So I plug in the network cable (I am using the network in my university residence, works great under linux and windows) and I start the Mac .... go into IE .... nothing .... I was expecting the network to setup automatically ...
    I go into some network settings in preferences and some connection settings, play around with those ... NOTHING .....

One thing to mention is that suring boot time 'Initializing Network' does take a while (like few seconds ... but it stays on it for a while)

I have ZERO experince with MAC and need help ... Thanks

adiliegro
    Open network preferences and make sure it is set for Automatic. It may be set for another IP or someting.

etes
    Quote Originally Posted by adiliegro
    Open network preferences and make sure it is set for Automatic. It may be set for another IP or someting.
    yes it is Auto, and default was auto, i tried other stuff, tried auto again .. no go . :confused:
    ok is there a way to tell if I am getting an IP ?? like windows and linux have utilities (like ipconfig and GUI based utilities) to tell u the IP, Default Gateway, and other stuff .... Is there such a thing under OS X ??

Just to add, I am sure this network works with Mac OS X as some of my friends use iBooks and PowerBooks

Thanks

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    In the network panel, make sure you have using dhcp turn on.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Go to applications-> utilities and there find 'network utility'

That will tell you all about your network activity.

"I am sure this network works with Mac OS X"
    As far as I know, most networks aren't OS specific, meaning they'll work with almost anything on the market today...

My university only lets you access the network through a VPN client, meaning you have to log-on first using a special client application.

Does your uni have any networking guidelines?

But don't despair, it's not the computer, just need to get it set up correctly and it'll work... even windows and linux pc's need to be setup correctly.

etes
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich
    Does your uni have any networking guidelines?

But don't despair, it's not the computer, just need to get it set up correctly and it'll work... even windows and linux pc's need to be setup correctly.
    No network guidelines .... actually my HDD on my PC died so I tried Knoppix Live Linux (linux that boots from CD) and that was first time with linux. (a week ago)

Both Win and Linux just picked up the network automatically.

I will try the suggestions ASAP.

Thanks

etes
    I tried everything you guys said ... and nothing .... I c an IP in the Network utility thing, it says 10Mbps and it says some packets sent and recived without error though that # doesnt change.

I cant go to internet, I cant use QuickTIme's stuff that need net connection (it says no connection) and so I am stuck .... This really isnt wut I was expecting ....
    What can I do ???

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    I think your problem is the mac address. You stated that you were using linux and no problem. Also window not problem. Both of the OS were running on the same pc (same mac address). Then you said you can not connect on OS X, which mean you are using an Apple product (new mac address). Most schools register computer by their mac address.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

etes
    Quote Originally Posted by rman
    I think your problem is the mac address. You stated that you were using linux and no problem. Also window not problem. Both of the OS were running on the same pc (same mac address). Then you said you can not connect on OS X, which mean you are using an Apple product (new mac address). Most schools register computer by their mac address.
    well that makes sence, except the question is how can I fix it , or can I fix it at all ??
    I want to use both PC and MAC .

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    It sure can be fixed, ask the school admin how to register your Apple's MAC address

Thread Information