New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

huge iPhoto problem!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

getuptogetdown

getuptogetdown is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle

Okay so I have my setting in my iPhoto prefrences not to copy my imported files into my iPhoto library...so here's two problems:

1. When I delete an image out of my photos and then empty the trash, I just discovered that they are still there on my hard drive!!!! Is there any way when you hit delete the actual images get deleted???

2. I also just discovered that there are duplicates of these images in a "originals" folder in my iPhoto library folder!! I purposely keep all my images on an external hard drive so that I don't have to have any on my MBP hard drive, yet I just found my entire collection!!!! ahhhh. Any help???

Loving my MBP more and more everyday
QUOTE Thanks
getuptogetdown

Mac Specs: 15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle

I also noticed...any pictures I have edited in iPhoto get saved on my hard drive and not on my external where the original picture is!! This is not what I want it to be doing at all...any way to fix this??

I am getting parallels soon so should I just get picasa on there and manage pictures on windows??

QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Hang in there. There is talk of Picasa for Mac being released later this year.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/01/15...sed-this-year/
QUOTE Thanks
getuptogetdown

Do you have any idea what is going on with my files??? And how I get them to all stay within the folders I created instead of all those weird iPhoto folders?

QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I refuse to use iPhoto because of it's management system (or lack of). I can't help you there.

I use Aperture for organizing my photo library and it works well, although it is overkill for what I use it for. Others seem to prefer Adobe Lightroom. Unfortunately, neither of these options are free.
QUOTE Thanks
robtg

robtg has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: IMac, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16 GHz 1 GB Mem.

If you drag iphoto to AppDelete and empty the trash, problem solved. The computer is just a tool, make it do what you want it to. ---robtg
QUOTE Thanks
getuptogetdown

haha thanks...but any alternatives?

QUOTE Thanks
Blizare

Blizare can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd

Don't use iphoto

Get lightroom
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Just an idea. Why not take your iPhoto folder from the finder and drag it to your extern disk. Launch iPhoto and it will say it can't find your folder you can then point to it using the pane displayed. Having you folder on your extern will save you space on your Laptop

Now with Leopard

I was Member of the month April 08
QUOTE Thanks
belunos

belunos will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66

I'm a fan of cocoviewx..

http://www.stalkingwolf.net/software/cocoviewx/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« woot! boot camp | Graphics Card Issue? »