New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Switching between apps using the keyboard.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

edokid

edokid is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone, I'm coming from a PC world and need some help. I just got a 12" PowerBook and I LOVE IT. Was amazing in class today with the whole class using big ThinkPads and me with the little PowerBook. Anyway, I'm so used to using Alt-Tab in windows to switch between my open programs. Now I know I can do that with Mac Using Command Tab as well. However, say I have 5 msn windows open, and safari, Command Tab only switches between one msn window and safari. Is there a way to use the keyboard and switch between open windows in one program? I've just been using F10 to show all the windows and click the one I want. It's the only thing that I don't like! Also, when I minimize an app to the dock, when I command tab it shows the app but it won't maximize it, only switches to it. Is there a command to maximize that window? Another quick question, do you guys just use the arrow keys or click and drag the slider in programs to scroll? I miss my scroller on the mouse or on my thinkpads trackpoint. Thanks! Phew.
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Hey,

Congrats on your new 12" PowerBook, they are awesome!

Spend a bit of time with expose (the f9, f10 and f11 feaures), and you really get used to them. I myself have F9 programmed to my upper right screen corner, so whenever I flick my mouse in the direction of the upper right corner, it shows me all windows. Again, this was awkward for me at first, but it gradually became natural, and now I use it instead of alt+tab because it's a lot more instinctive for me.

Try programming it to the top right or top left corner, you just flick your mouse in that direction and expose happens. It's very cool, and I guarantee you that after a few days you'll get used to it.

There really is no other way in OS X to see all your windows.

The shortcut for minimizing an app is cmd+m, but I don't think there's a shortcut for maximizing apps. I don't really minimize any apps, because with expose I just keep all my windows open and switch between them...

I just use the mouse. If you drag your Safari window (or whatever browser you use) to all the corners, so it's fullscreen, you can just move your mouse all the way to the right, and even if it's on the edge of the screen you can still drag the scroll wheel around (sorry if that didn't make any sense). I actually find the scroll wheel useless now, because you can get so much more accuracy out of dragging the slider. You just have to get used to it, that's all.

I know, I'm telling you to just get used to a whole bunch of things in OS X, but I guarantee you you'll get used to them pretty quick, and once you're used to them, they're instinctive, and you'll hate Windows XP even more

Cheers,
m1k
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

command+~ switches between open windows in the currently active app
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

o, and I use the arrow keys ~_<
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Another nice feature is no need to shutdown between classes. Just close the lid and it auto sleeps :alien:
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

How do you switch between multiple windows of the same app, such as Safari? Also, How do you go between tabs in Safari using the keyboard?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

yea, its command+~ switches etween windows of the frontmost app
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
Also, How do you go between tabs in Safari using the keyboard?
Shift + Cmd + left/right arrows
QUOTE Thanks
edokid

Thanks for the help that works! I actually just got used to the expose thing in the top corner now! Still getting used to everything here though. Is it okay to put it to sleep instead of shutting down? Doesn't it use battery when it's sleeping? I still really miss my scroller!
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

yes, the battery does get used in sleep mode, and if its on too long, it can overheat. hteres also an expose blob, its like a button thats always on screen, a blue bubble, you click it, and it activates expose. it gets annoying after a while, but expose works just as well.
also, hold shift hile sending the cursor to the corner to activate expose and see it in slow motion.:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
yes, the battery does get used in sleep mode, and if its on too long, it can overheat
Not really. The laptop only uses the battery for keeping the RAM active. It cools down significantly in sleep mode, and I can't tell the difference in temperature between sleep and completely off.

It's completely fine to leave your 'Book in sleep mode. I've left mine for a week and it's been fine, it uses almost no battery (20% in a week, maybe less), and it's a helluva lot more convenient than shutting down and turning on every time you want to use your 'Book.

I've never actually shut down my PowerBook. I sometimes restart for new apps that require it, and I often just sleep. But sleeping is one of the great advantages of having a Mac laptop - it rocks!

Cheers,
m1k
QUOTE Thanks
edokid

Well you can put PC laptops to sleep as well just so you know. I used to all the time with my ThinkPad but after a year or so my battery depleated and would last about 15 minutes. I had to call IBM and they mailed me a new one, just didn't want that to happen with my PowerBook.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

yeah, I use my iBook on campus all the time, and the sleep function is great for running between classes and just popping the lid and having it on instantly again.

PC laptops can do this, but it normally takes them quite a while to "wake-up" properly.

My friends Siemens laptop reminds me of a college student on monday morning with a bad hangover when it wakes up from sleep mode...
QUOTE Thanks
edokid

I know I sound like a nag and I love my PowerBook but my ThinkPad honestly goes to sleep as soon as the lid is closed or I press FN-F4. To wake it up just open the lid or press Enter, it's back on instantly. I have to stop standing up for PCs on here!!! But then again, I do work for IBM so
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

For your scrolling issue, you can download a freeware program called SideTrack from www.macupdate.com . I puts a virtual scrolling area on one edge of the trackpad and you can also designate a corner of your trackpad to simulate a right click of the mouse.

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« safari? | Possible switcher...many questions though »