New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Something to replace notepad?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ecodisk

ecodisk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.1Ghz C2D MacBook, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD

I thought TextEdit would do the trick and for the most part it seemed to, but as soon as I had to open the file on a Windows PC I ran into problems.

I wrote out some html coding and tried to keep it organized. When I open it in windows it is completely unorganized, and has weird boxes. The file still works, it just doesn't look nice any longer. This is a problem when I'm presenting the file in front of a class, or trying to turn some work in..

How would I go about fixing this, or is there a program that would work better then TextEdit? The idea of installing Windows just to use notepad seems very wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
AlyciaAnimation

AlyciaAnimation has a spectacular aura about

TextWrangler is soon becoming my favorite text editor. It colors the code, which is always helpful, and best of all it's free.

I just did a little test. An html file I had opened fine in WordPad, but looked a mess in NotePad.

I don't get Windows
QUOTE Thanks
lifeisabeach

lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputelifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

TextEdit will work just fine. The problem is you need to change the format it's saving in. Change the defaults to "Plain Text".
QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

When you go to save click Save As and than change the file format to Word 2007 or 97.

Use the Rep System!!

Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
TextEdit will work just fine. The problem is you need to change the format it's saving in. Change the defaults to "Plain Text".
that may be, but it's find/replace function seems to work lousy for me. I've searched for patterns I was staring at with no hits.

Besides, I've been looking for something more along the lines of Ultraedit or Textpad, which are a bit more.. visual.. than Textedit, or vi.. and it looks like TextWrangler may fit the bill. Thanks!

edit: Okay, maybe not. Find is still sucking.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecodisk View Post
I thought TextEdit would do the trick and for the most part it seemed to, but as soon as I had to open the file on a Windows PC I ran into problems.

I wrote out some html coding and tried to keep it organized. When I open it in windows it is completely unorganized, and has weird boxes. The file still works, it just doesn't look nice any longer. This is a problem when I'm presenting the file in front of a class, or trying to turn some work in..

How would I go about fixing this, or is there a program that would work better then TextEdit? The idea of installing Windows just to use notepad seems very wrong.
Are you trying to show the HTML or render it through a browser? I believe TextEdit, by default, saves in RTF. To display the code, you'd want to save it as plain text and, of course, to render it in the web browser, HTML.

Minutes later....

I stand corrected. I just wrote a basic HTML code that, if saved a HTML, would display. I saved it in RTF and it and the code displays just fine. I have a feeling this has something to do with Mac/Windows compatibility. I'd save the documents in HTML and open them on the PC with a text editor.

QUOTE Thanks
ecodisk

ecodisk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.1Ghz C2D MacBook, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD

I saved it as a .html file, so that it would display in a web browser. When I tell it to open in notepad I have the issues, also when I go to view the page source in IE or FireFox I have the same problem. It displays the page I wrote just fine, but not the code.

As for changing it to plain text, I had to do that to get it to work in OSX. When I was originally writing it I couldn't get it to open as a web page on the Mac until I told it to be plain text, so it was saved as plain text before I transfered it to the Windows machine.

Sorry I forgot to include this info, I was a bit frustrated when I wrote my first post. It kinda just shot me in the foot when I was doing a presentation.

Oh, and thanks for the TextWrangler suggestion, I'm going to go test that right now.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I would also strongly recommend BBedit

You can download BBedit lite for free and it is set-up to help coders write html etc

edit: lite is no longer developed, but BBedit is shareware
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
I would also strongly recommend BBedit

You can download BBedit lite for free and it is set-up to help coders write html etc

edit: lite is no longer developed, but BBedit is shareware
The free version of BBEdit is called TextWrangler. It replaced "BBEdit Lite" several years ago.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

It's GNU or nothin' for me.
QUOTE Thanks
GroovyLinuxGuy

GroovyLinuxGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
And the obligatory Vim counter point!

http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

Seriously though...this VIM version is great on my MBP

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I use smultron on the mac, but now that I've more figured parallels I'm going to try loading notepad++

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyLinuxGuy View Post
And the obligatory Vim counter point!

http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

Seriously though...this VIM version is great on my MBP

Cheers!
I suppose this is where one would have to match the Cocoa appeal with Aquamacs Emacs... but I like my GNU/Linux-identical, dated Carbon look. Though, to be fair, I most enjoy using it from the Terminal.
QUOTE Thanks
Amanda

Amanda is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 1GB RAM 80 GB Combo Drive

Bean is a really good text editor. It's similar to Word but free.
QUOTE Thanks
belunos

belunos will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66

I think it's important to understand the underlying technology to be able to help. Most word processing programs add formatting to a document. Like if you save a Word document and try to open it in notepad, you'll see little squares all over the place. This is where Word added formatting to the document, and very basic editors can't translate that formatting. And it doesn't matter if you do any specific formatting of your own, the program will add it's.. touch.. anyway when you save.

I can't fully answer this on the Mac side of things regarding programs, but you will want to look for a flat text editor.

I did a quick search on google, and this may help: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106212
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Magic Mouse: Multi Touch Problem? | Internet Problems »