New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Filled it...with nuthin!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stickydick

A bit new to the idea of the whole dmg business, I did something silly yesterday. I was trying to move a 5GB file from a dmg file to my desktop, and create another dmg (also about 5GB) on my desktop too. It was all taking some time, so I left and came back to see that I had filled up my mac. I had initially more than 10-12GB of free space, so deleted the halftransferred desktop file, cleaned up with filevault, ran disk utility, macjanitor, and even defragged and have only been able to recover 3GB of free space. What happened to the other 10? I have tried to delete my mistake, but can not see the dmg file that I (half) created...this task never finished as I ran out of room. How can I see what files I have on my mac...

I know, I know, I am dumb. Let the insults roll in!

QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

command-f.....do a search for the filename. Might want to look for invisible files too.
QUOTE Thanks
stickydick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom
command-f.....do a search for the filename. Might want to look for invisible files too.
Thanks...I tried that. How do I search for invisible files?

This is weird. Adding up all of the file sizes of my desktop, etc. show that I should have 12-14GB free, so it doesn't balance somehow. Biz-arre.
QUOTE Thanks
stickydick

Found how to do the invisible file thing. Still can't see anything large enough to take up that much space. Another weird thing is happening too...whenever I delete something, the memory available does not increase, and whenever I download something the memory available decreases somewhat. Has anyone else ever filled up their mac like this and had similar problems? Bleee....
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future

The finder is not the most accurate when it comes to showing drive space. I've deleted stuff and the used actually increases. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As far as finding what's using drive space, there is a program called Whatsize that will do that. Check MacUpdate.

ALso check your log files. Do you leave your comp on overnight?
Also 2: it might be swap files. How much memory do you have?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Ok, when you delete things it does to your "trash" folder in the dock...

This is a safeguard to prevent anything being deleted that you might decide to keep after all.

The files aren't actually 'deleted' until you ctrl-click on the trash and select 'empty trash'

The disc space is still in use accordingly until you've done this...
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

True...however a search would show the file, in .Trashes, and he cant find it. Also you can empty trash from Finder menu.

sticky, what did you mean "cleaned up with filevault"? I dont use it cause have heard bad things about it.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom
The finder is not the most accurate when it comes to showing drive space. I've deleted stuff and the used actually increases. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As far as finding what's using drive space, there is a program called Whatsize that will do that. Check MacUpdate.

ALso check your log files. Do you leave your comp on overnight?
Also 2: it might be swap files. How much memory do you have?
are you using a swap partition system of some kind? and Ive experienced the finder not updating hd space, try duplicating a file, any size, and see if it affects it, or use system profiler in the utilities folder to check your space.
also try restarting in safe boot mode, by holding down shift while starting up.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Ok sorry for the partonizing suggestion I made, it's just that I've often deleted DVD backups off my external drive and wondered why the space available hadn't been updated (I hadn't emptied the trash).

I do know you can empty the trash from the finder menu btw, but thanks anyway!

I know that application setups leave little signature files in your library somewhere (I believe so that the system can track the currently installed apps), maybe this is something similar - i.e. the .dmg file leaves a library entry documenting it's creation date, size etc.

maybe this is taking up the space somehow because you never finished the creation of the dmg so some of the data was "left" in the library??

Sorry, this is purely suggestive...

Try searching for the filename without the extension maybe?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
It's just that I've often deleted DVD backups off my external drive and wondered why the space available hadn't been updated (I hadn't emptied the trash).
If you re-connect your external drive and empty the trash you should see the space return. Since you have not emptied the trash the files still exists.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Yeah, I know, I was just using my problem as an example. I scratched my head for about 10min, emptied the trash and the space returned immediately...

Btw. that programme whatsize is quite useful, thanks for suggesting that!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Modem as Telephone | Unix apps and X11 »