Specs:
    Macbook 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD; running Leopard (10.5.2)
    Exclamation Mac OS mail and verizon DSL issues
    This is an FYI: I recently switched over to Mac (quite happily, thank you). My ISP is Verizon DSL, which I have used (under windows) for years with no problem. While my internet connection was fine (Macbook with an Airport Express piggy backed off an ancient Linksys wired router), and i could receive mail fine on my verizon address, sending mail via Verizon's outgoing smtp settings worked sporadically at best, and in fact would NOT send any emails with attachments using Thunderbird, Mac Mail, or even going and trying it directly on Verizon's Webmail utility. Verizon's "Mac experts" were of little assistance and told me it was a software issue at my end, but i knew it wasn't because i COULD send mail with attachments through my webmail acct at work and through my yahoo acct-- it was an outgoing port issue with Verizon for sure. I spent hours searching forums and tweaking settings, ports, etc., and finally set up a gmail acct and configured it to work through mac mail. This is the only way I could get mail to work without trouble. Bottom line: Verizon says they support Mac but they are clueless. Don't waste your time clinging to your Verzion email address. Get one from gmail (free), yahoo (not free if you want POP), or where ever and save yourself the grief.

Specs:
    MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
    I have 3 yahoo accounts that are fine with Mail... pop is free. I think it's hotmail that isn't.

Anyways, that blows!

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Very strange. I have Verizon FIOS (fiber optic DSL) and had no problem sending email with attachments when using Outlook Express from XP.

I guess I need to try doing the same from Mac Mail to see if it works OK. I too have a GMail account which I use. Setup was pretty much automatic from Mac Mail.

Specs:
    Macbook 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD; running Leopard (10.5.2)
    yahoo free pop?
    Quote Originally Posted by skaheadpunk View Post
    I have 3 yahoo accounts that are fine with Mail... pop is free. I think it's hotmail that isn't.

Anyways, that blows!
    not that it matters... i'm just curious-- when i tried to "enable POP" on my yahoo email account so that i could get my yahoo mail using mac mail, it said it was only available to members who paid. Maybe that's a new thing they're doing??

Specs:
    Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
    Quote Originally Posted by adk46er View Post
    not that it matters... i'm just curious-- when i tried to "enable POP" on my yahoo email account so that i could get my yahoo mail using mac mail, it said it was only available to members who paid. Maybe that's a new thing they're doing??
    Nope, they've always charged for "advanced" features. That's why I love my Gmail account!

Specs:
    Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
    I have Bellsouth (now AT&T) DSL, and had an identical problem. They require me to use their outgoing server to send all emails regardless of the type of account. This is unusual.

Typically depending on the email account, your email server settings are typically set up as:

incoming mail server: mail.whatever.com
    outgoing mail server: mail.whatever.com

However, my DSL service requires:

incoming mail server: mail.whatever.com
    outgoing mail server: mail.bellsouth.net (the ISP's outgoing server)

If you can receive emails, but not send them from a particular ISP, try changing your outgoing mail settings to whatever they say is required to set up the ISP's own email account. Don't forget to change the user name and password for the outgoing mail server as well.

Specs:
    Macbook Air, Dell Inspiron 9400
    My DSL with Ntelos also requires you to use their outbound mail server.

Thread Information