New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook - New to Mac, which laptop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pnut312

pnut312 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I am totally new to the whole mac scene and i am going crazy trying to figure out what laptop to purchase so maybe someone can help me. I have narrowed it down to 3. Just so you know i have never used a mac before but have done alot of research and know i want one! I will be using it mostly for college, web surfing, photos, ect. pretty much just a basic user, but I don't want it to be slow (very impatient...probably due to using PC's for so long ). I would like bluetooth and i am pretty sure all the ones i have picked out offer it. I am trying to keep it around $1100 which is why i picked the ones i did. Please let me know which one would be best for me. Thanks

here are my picks:
2.1 ghz version $1099
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...family/macbook

1.5 or 1.67 ghz version $699-799 (my top pic because of price, if it's a decent model)
http://www.wegenermedia.com/alum15.htm

Referbished mac book pro, 1.83 ghz model $1099 (how much better than regular mac book?)

http://www.wegenermedia.com/macbookpro.htm
Thanks for your help
QUOTE Thanks
a4 abt

a4 abt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz

I'd take the 2.1 MacBook, but as long as you upgrade the RAM. 4GB kits go for ~$90. From what you said the computer will be for, a dedicated video card is not necessary, so the PowerBook and the MB Pro as not needed. The question is the screen size: 13" is enough for you? Will you use the notebook with an external monitor?
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

saxnbass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G

I 2nd that. I'd go for the 2.1 MacBook.

Eric
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Core Duo; iMac: 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Both running Leopard; 160GB iPod Classic; and 16GB iPhone 3G, 1st 8GB Gen iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
i have never used a mac before but have done alot of research and know i want one! ...

1.5 or 1.67 ghz version $699-799 (my top pic because of price, if it's a decent model)
I'd go with that one, personally.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

pnut312,

Welcome to the forum.

I'd go for the 2.1 Macbook mainly because of it's speed, size and weight. The 13 inch screen is plenty large enough for your for college work and the weight won't tax your lap. While the Powerbook is a good price, it is slower and heavier. Consider that a larger laptop is heavier and not necessarily better...

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
pnut312

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
I'd go with that one, personally.
is there any particular reason why you think i should go with this? Other than price?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut312 View Post
I'd say go with this one. Being Intel-based, it will give you the option to install Windows if you find you have the need. Intel-based hardware is the future of Macs... may as well start with it.

The problem with the refurbed Powerbooks is that they aren't Intel-based, so you can't run Windows if you wound up needing to, and you will have increasingly limited software choices over the next few years. They also only come with 512 mb of RAM... adequate, but you'd be more comfortable with double that. The same goes for the G4 processor... adequate for your needs, but the MacBook should be a fair bit speedier.

The refurbed MacBook Pro would be a good choice if it had more RAM. But the new MacBook should suit your needs fine and you should get more longevity from it.
QUOTE Thanks
dalison

dalison has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD

You can also get a refurbished MacBook directly from Apple: 2.2GHz white, 1GB RAM for $999. Some good deals in there:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...m=CertifiedMac

--David
My blog about my move from Windows to Mac: www.davidalison.com
QUOTE Thanks
pnut312

Hey guys,

I am totally new to the whole mac scene and i am going crazy trying to figure out what laptop to purchase so maybe someone can help me. I have narrowed it down to 3. Just so you know i have never used a mac before but have done alot of research and know i want one! I will be using it mostly for college, web surfing, photos, ect. pretty much just a basic user, but I don't want it to be slow (very impatient...probably due to using PC's for so long ). I would like bluetooth and i am pretty sure all the ones i have picked out offer it. I am trying to keep it around $1100 which is why i picked the ones i did. Please let me know which one would be best for me. Thanks

here are my picks:
2.1 ghz version $1099
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...family/macbook

Referbished mac book pro, 1.83 ghz model $1099 (how much better than regular mac book?)

http://www.wegenermedia.com/macbookpro.htm

From what i can gather from reading the forums the G4 is really inferior compared to the macbook or macbook pro....is this the case??

PLEASE HELP THANKS!!
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

As a student, you are entitled to Apple's education discount. The $1099 MacBook that you linked to is available on their education store site for $999. I would go for that or the 2.4ghz, 2gb, 160gb HD version for $1199 if you could swing it without a major problem.
QUOTE Thanks
iApple

iApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.66ghz Core 2 duo iMac (20in), 320gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1066mhz, iPhone 3g (8GB), Nano 4g (16GB)

Yep i agree with everyone else. Go for the 2.1 or like Jay said the 2.4 if possible.
QUOTE Thanks
pnut312

Thanks for all your input, so my final question is should i go with the macbook or the refurbished mac book pro, since they will end up being the same price??
QUOTE Thanks
pnut312

any help??
QUOTE Thanks
dalison

dalison has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD

It's generally not a good idea to cross post. You already have a pretty active thread in the Switcher area with the exact same question.

--David
My blog about my move from Windows to Mac: www.davidalison.com
QUOTE Thanks
pnut312

sorry about that, kinda new to all this, just trying to make the best possible desicion
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Converting Safari Web Pages to HTML? Please help! | parallels + windows »